Demo Ride at Cannock Chase this weekend

bails87
bails87 Posts: 12,998
edited February 2012 in MTB general
This sunday, the 26th Feb.

Organised by the good folks at http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/

I've just booked a place, they've still got bikes left.
we have Yeti 575's in M and L available for the 1pm ride, whyte 146 L and T120 L available for 11am and 1pm, a M T120 at 1pm, Cannondale Jekyll 3's in M and L for both rides, 18" Cube Stereo for 11am, Scott genius 20 in M for 1pm and in L for both rides.

They might have smalls/ XLs left, but those were the ones that would fit me.

There's two rides from Tackeroo campsite, at 11am and 1pm, call them on 01902716786 or email wolverhampton AT leisure-lakes . co.uk (obviously remove the spaces and replace the AT with an @) to book yourself on.

Just thought I'd let you all know.
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

Comments

• T'husband and I are going to the afternoon demo to try out Orange 5s (a 14" and a 22"). I'll be the hobbity woman probably going over the handlebars and sliding my face across the ground.
  • bails87
    Mrs Toast wrote:
    T'husband and I are going to the afternoon demo to try out Orange 5s (a 14" and a 22"). I'll be the hobbity woman probably going over the handlebars and sliding my face across the ground.
    I'll be on a Yeti ASR 5 in the PM, in a black/green/pink Fox Flux*. Say hello! :)

*and maybe even some other clothes!
    MTB/CX

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Hmmmmm shame I'm not home this weekend, would have been nice to have a go on the 146...
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Hmm, sounds good. A few questions:
    Is it free-deposit etc?
    do you have to book?
    Can you ride anywhere you like, or do you have to follow the staff?

Thanks

Might pop down as I only live 15 mins away
  • bails87
    429078_10150562352800642_309442860641_8968352_2071912491_n.jpg

Give them a call.
    MTB/CX

• Is it free-deposit etc?

Yes, but you have to fill in a registration form and bring some form of photo ID (passport, driving licence, etc)
    do you have to book?

Yes, you can contact them on wolverhampton@leisure-lakes.co.uk and find out what bikes they have available in your size, and for which session. They're actually shockingly quick to reply, I'm used to companies taking days, they'll normally reply within the hour.
    Can you ride anywhere you like, or do you have to follow the staff?

It's a guided ride mostly around Follow the Dog, or so I've been told.
  • Guess I'll go on saturday then to avoid the crowds on shiny five pros!
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Thank you Mr Bails!

I've been trying to source a demo on a Cannondale Jekyll for ages! Its a bit of long way just to try out a bike but I think this might one of my few chances to try one out.
  • bails87
    I think I saw Mr and Mrs Toast, did you guys miss the guided ride because you seemed to still be standing around at the Orange van when we set off?

Also, I want an ASR 5.....Damn that thing was fun.

The 146 was very 'meh' though!
    MTB/CX

• lawman
    bails87 wrote:

which one was it? the x? I still think to this day its a damn close call between the proto 146 I rode at BRL and the HD, and the 146x is just gorgeous! Not surprised you like the asr5, I can't wait to have a go on the sb66c
  • bails87 wrote:
    I think I saw Mr and Mrs Toast, did you guys miss the guided ride because you seemed to still be standing around at the Orange van when we set off?

Yep, that was us! There'd been a bit of a cock up, I'd specifically asked to demo a 14" Orange 5 or the long Diva (which is the same frame as a regular 14"), but they'd been told I wanted a short Diva. The guys at Orange were great though, they fortunately had a 14" in the van without the chain set, so they fixed that one up for me, and off we toddled on our own.

The bikes were ace, although I got a bit cocky and didn't give the super wide bars the respect they deserved at one point! Mr Toast loved his demo too, think it's the best fitting full susser he's ever ridden. He could go up hills without the front lifting and everything! :p

Where did the guided ride go, out of interest?
  • bails87
    Mrs Toast wrote:
    Where did the guided ride go, out of interest?
    Good to hear you enjoyed it, shame I didn't get to speak to you guys.

We went back 'against the flow' down the fire road that links Tackeroo and the road crossing on FTD, then turned left off that down an unmarked trail that brought us out ont he fireroad near the FTD singletrack section that starts right after Tackeroo, rode that down to Hugh's Bridge, then went left up that fireroad back towards Tackeroo along Penkridge Bank.
    It was about 3 miles, and we did 2 laps on each bike.
    This is the rides, plus me wandering about between manufacturer tents: http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/gmnkcrXCj6M
    MTB/CX

• bails87
    lawman wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

which one was it? the x? I still think to this day its a damn close call between the proto 146 I rode at BRL and the HD, and the 146x is just gorgeous! Not surprised you like the asr5, I can't wait to have a go on the sb66c

The S, I've ridden the X though, and that was very similar. I said at the time it had an 'elastic band' feel to the drivetrain, where it felt like it was soaking up energy that I was putting in. It felt the same yesterday, and when I was trying to hop and flick the bike about, it felt like the bike was fighting that and was just using up the travel to stop me doing it.

Clearly a huge part of the issue is rider technique (or my lack of it!) but the Yeti felt much snappier, I was happy on it straight away, despite the fact it was a large with a relatively long stem and I'd probably be better on a medium with a ~70mm stem. It felt balanced, flickable, jump-able and really capable despite 'only' having 5 inches of travel at the back (had 140mm forks though). I had a little warm up on the jumps and drops that someone's built on the edge of Tackeroo campsite and accidentally hit a 3-4 foot drop to flat (thought it was a slope, but I went off the wrong bit and only realised when it was too late to stop) and it soaked it up without any drama

Basically, it felt like my C456, but bouncy at the back. And sweet zombie jesus it climbed well, I left propedal on (without realising) for the first test loop and I saw a short sharp climb up ahead, so got ready to stomp and wrestle the bike up, but instead of stalling it seemed to speed up as it climbed! :shock:

Whereas with the Whyte, I was very aware that I had the weight of a bike underneath me, and it felt like I was having to lug it around, rather than the bike almost helping itself into the air like the Yeti. I also had a quick spin on a Blur TRC and that felt like the Whyte too, so it might just that me and twin link style suspension don't get on.

410952_552704052381_289000003_1481334_1479453368_o.jpg Supergnarcore!
    MTB/CX

• lawman
    bails87 wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

The S, I've ridden the X though, and that was very similar. I said at the time it had an 'elastic band' feel to the drivetrain, where it felt like it was soaking up energy that I was putting in. It felt the same yesterday, and when I was trying to hop and flick the bike about, it felt like the bike was fighting that and was just using up the travel to stop me doing it.

Clearly a huge part of the issue is rider technique (or my lack of it!) but the Yeti felt much snappier, I was happy on it straight away, despite the fact it was a large with a relatively long stem and I'd probably be better on a medium with a ~70mm stem. It felt balanced, flickable, jump-able and really capable despite 'only' having 5 inches of travel at the back (had 140mm forks though). I had a little warm up on the jumps and drops that someone's built on the edge of Tackeroo campsite and accidentally hit a 3-4 foot drop to flat (thought it was a slope, but I went off the wrong bit and only realised when it was too late to stop) and it soaked it up without any drama

Basically, it felt like my C456, but bouncy at the back. And sweet zombie jesus it climbed well, I left propedal on (without realising) for the first test loop and I saw a short sharp climb up ahead, so got ready to stomp and wrestle the bike up, but instead of stalling it seemed to speed up as it climbed! :shock:

Whereas with the Whyte, I was very aware that I had the weight of a bike underneath me, and it felt like I was having to lug it around, rather than the bike almost helping itself into the air like the Yeti. I also had a quick spin on a Blur TRC and that felt like the Whyte too, so it might just that me and twin link style suspension don't get on.

410952_552704052381_289000003_1481334_1479453368_o.jpg Supergnarcore!

Hmm interesting, could be down to what you prefer, but I've always felt that twin link designs such as vpp, dw and quadlink suit me really well, they feel agile, planted and pedal great, and the only faux bar I've ever liked the feel of was the cove hustler... the ride on the whyte was along time ago though, nearly two years, so I might have changed since then :lol:
  • bails87
    Yep, horses for courses, innit :wink:

I'll definitely have proper rides if/when I get something squishy, but after seeing your Mojo in action and thinking I'd like it, I was very, very impressed by the Yeti.

What suspension type is the Yeti? Noit single pivot because it relies on flex in the seatstays? So 'faux bar'?
    MTB/CX

• bails87
    I forgot to say, the biggest difference between the bikes yesterday and my 456?

My dropper seatpost! I hadn't realised just how much I used it, kept whacking myself in the grapes with the saddle!
    MTB/CX

• jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I tried the Jekyll, my first proper ride on a full sus, not just skidding mate's bikes around car parks :D and I loved the feel of the rear end. The way it tracked the ground and isolated the bumps was great. After the demo we rode our hardtails round the same course and I realised just how bumpy the ground really was.

Unfortunately the fork was set-up way too soft even thought the Cannondale rep said it was correct for my weight so it ruined the ride a little but I still liked the bike enough to want to try and arrange a proper demo for a whole day so I can take my time and set it up correctly.