Helmets and the Law

chilling
chilling Posts: 267
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Not read most of this yet but it's a study from the The New Zealand Medical Journal on the effects of their helmet law.

http://www.cycle-helmets.com/nz-clarke-2012.pdf

Thought it may inspire some interesting debate :)

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Popcorn-09-Psych.gif
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I remember Chris Boardman quoted that study in a pro-cycling article about helmets.

I also remember quoting Boardman on that plenty of times, never to much effect.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    That's good enough for me. I'd ban the things personally, and this chap has just agreed with me 100%. Discussion closed.

Next.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    CiB wrote:
    That's good enough for me. I'd ban the things personally, and this chap has just agreed with me 100%. Discussion closed.

Next.

Presumably you mean debates re helmets
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Nope. Just helmets. If they'd never been invented, would there be a clamou...

Stop. Step Away From The Helmet Debate. Keep Hands Clear Of The Keyboard. Move Slowly Away With Hands Facing Downwards. Step Away From The Helmet Debate.
  • It's a very messy study from my POV. Doesn't seem to set out to explain the drop in cyclist injuries after the helmet law was introduced that I could see. Also seemed to want to compare head injuries for vehicle occupants and cyclists.

It also wants to compare pedestrians with cyclists a lot:
    - Cars these days are specifically designed to protect pedestrians on impact
    - As a pedestrian, you struggle to have a road accident where no (other) vehicle is involved (whereas, I think it points out only 1/3 of bike accidents are impacts with cars)

I agree with it's conclusion (that mandatory helmet wearing is Bad) but I think it's poorly argued.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    alarmed-popcorn-smiley.png

anyone?!
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    edited February 2012
    I remember Chris Boardman quoted that study in a pro-cycling article about helmets.

I didn't realise this was old. I thought it was new going by the published date of 10/02/2012. Having read a bit more I agree with meanredspider. The whole study seems to be a bit of a mess.
  • rick_chasey
    *shrugs* guess it wasn't that one then.

He definitely quoted one from that part of the world where helmets were made compulsory.
  • It's a very messy study from my POV. Doesn't seem to set out to explain the drop in cyclist injuries after the helmet law was introduced that I could see. Also seemed to want to compare head injuries for vehicle occupants and cyclists.

It also wants to compare pedestrians with cyclists a lot:
    - Cars these days are specifically designed to protect pedestrians on impact
    - As a pedestrian, you struggle to have a road accident where no (other) vehicle is involved (whereas, I think it points out only 1/3 of bike accidents are impacts with cars)

I agree with it's conclusion (that mandatory helmet wearing is Bad) but I think it's poorly argued.

It did - stating that the comparable figures show an increase in cyclist injuries as a percentage of miles cycled
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • It did - stating that the comparable figures show an increase in cyclist injuries as a percentage of miles cycled

Annual number of injuries per million hours spent travelling
    (change relative to 1988–91)
    25.61 (88-91)
    21.38 (-17) (96-99)

-17 is a 17% decrease per million hours
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,336
    Going slighty off topic.

Cavendish finished a stage recently (Qatar?) having discarded his helmet after a crash near the finish.

Was there any punishment for this?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Going slighty off topic.

Cavendish finished a stage recently (Qatar?) having discarded his helmet after a crash near the finish.

Capital punishment.

He rode without a helmet, therefore he died.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Going slighty off topic.

He disgarded it because it was in many tiny peices,having protected his noggin.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Going slighty off topic.

Ah, but did it? Maybe the road was actually protected from his head hitting it?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Going slighty off topic.

Apparently he injured his neck.

Damn helmets. :roll:
  • rick_chasey
    I'm in danger of taking the argument seriously, but....

Surely the study isn't saying that helmets aren't effective when you land on your head?

The article is making a point from a public policy perspective.

They say the health benefits of cycling that are lost when less people cycle as a result of compulsory helmet laws are greater than the injuries preventing by making helmets compulsory.

It's considering whether helmets should be made compulsory, not about whether they will help you individually.
  • I think you are right but it's such a messy study that it fails to do even that effectively. There's no control group (it tries to use peds and other vehicle passengers - which, frankly, is a nonsense) - it would have been far more effective if it had taken cycling levels in a similar country where this legislation hadn't been introduced. I think it does also try to argue that helmets aren't effective (hence the injury rates) but fails to attempt to explain the apparent significant drop in injuries after legislation is introduced and focuses upon (but, again, doesn't explain) the then rapid rise. It's very disappointing. I'm pro-helmet but anti-legislation but I see this study as messy and weak.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,336
    thelawnet wrote:
    Going slighty off topic.

Apparently he injured his neck.

Damn helmets. :roll:

I feel it's only fair to redress the balance by pointing out that he sustained his injuries while wearing the helmet. I can only conclude that wearing the helmet led to him taking on extra risk in the belief his helmet would protect him.

Clearly his attitude to risk changed once he discarded the helmet.

C'mon Buns. Post.You know you want too.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    I think you are right but it's such a messy study that it fails to do even that effectively. There's no control group (it tries to use peds and other vehicle passengers - which, frankly, is a nonsense) - it would have been far more effective if it had taken cycling levels in a similar country where this legislation hadn't been introduced. I think it does also try to argue that helmets aren't effective (hence the injury rates) but fails to attempt to explain the apparent significant drop in injuries after legislation is introduced and focuses upon (but, again, doesn't explain) the then rapid rise. It's very disappointing. I'm pro-helmet but anti-legislation but I see this study as messy and weak.

Like I said before, I remember Boardman in procycling citing a study that came to the same conclusion I described above.

I think he came across it when he was asked to be part of a committee that was considering whether to make it compulsory or not. From what I remember, I think that was his main argument for being against wearing helmets.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    It's considering whether helmets should be made compulsory, not about whether they will help you individually

Indeed.

And given that I can't remember any poster here actually advocating mandating helmets, it doesn't add a lot!
  • rick_chasey
    jedster wrote:
    It's considering whether helmets should be made compulsory, not about whether they will help you individually

Indeed.

And given that I can't remember any poster here actually advocating mandating helmets, it doesn't add a lot!

It's an interesting perspective though, isn't it?

What it does demonstrate is that there are a lot of people who don't like wearing them enough to not ride a bike at all.
  • What it does demonstrate is that there are a lot of people who don't like wearing them enough to not ride a bike at all.

I'm not even sure it says that - at least not unequivocally. It shows that there were less people "riding bikes" (whatever that's defined as) after the law was introduced. Correlation isn't causation. Even if it were, we're not even clear what it is about mandated helmet use that caused the drop. My wife has a bike that hasn't left the garage in 5 years. In a survey she might claim she "rides a bike". I'm not sure she could lay her hands on a helmet though and, should the law be introduced here, that might be enough to swing her towards answering "I don't ride a bike". I honestly doubt a committed cyclist would quit if forced to wear a helmet (after all, many do for organised events). People like my wife thought, for whom a bike provides absolutely no health benefits, would. Clearly, any barriers to getting people onto bikes is a Bad Thing - hence my objection to a law. The reasons for the drop in this study, though, are a little more opaque.