Opinion on bike spec and retailer required - please

swelsbyuk
swelsbyuk Posts: 421
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
My son has been saving for the past couple of years to buy his first 'proper' mountain bike.

He is 9 in March and wants to get into racing at some point in the future so is keen to buy something decent. We have looked at Islabikes (of course) but their front suspension bike is £699 and, therfore, out of his price range even when including our contribution.

Anyway, I see Genesis have released a bike called the Core 24 which should just about fit him. It is available for around £550 at Evans, Tredz etc but this outfit: UK Bike Depot are doing it for £440 - a considerable saving.

http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m14b126s10p ... 2012/RS_GB

Can anyone advise as to whether these are a reputable outlet (internet only, I see) and give an opinion on the spec.

Many thanks

S

Comments

• Just searched a little and it seems that UK Bike Depot trades from a cycle shop called Cycle Gear in Halifax - has anyone dealt with either the physical or online store?
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Might be worth giving that bike shop a call and see what they are like?
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • I have never used ukbikesdepot personally, but they are indeed owned by Cycle Gear in Halifax, so that's a plus since they have the backing of an established, trusted local shop with a reputation to maintain.
    The Core 24 is a great bike, so if you're happy it will be a good fit for your boy there's no reason not to order online, BUT, definitely worth checking a couple of things first.
    Does the online price include delivery?
    How long does it normally take for a bike to arrive?
    Will it be fully built and PDI checked before shipping?
    Does it arrive fully built up or is there some assembly required?

As long as you get the right answers to those basic, vital questions you should be fine.
    Most small bike shops will remove the front wheel and possibly pedals and maybe turn the handlebars for shipping, which is all fine and easy to put back together, but if there's any more work than that to do after delivery then it's best avoided.
    Ask if they can include the allen keys and pedal spanner you'll need to re-assemble the bike. Always worth a try. most shops will at least include the allen keys.
    As for the spec, it's good for the price, especially with that 20% discount. Basic Shimano components, not refined but built for resilience, which is perfect for a kids off-road bike. The frame itself is the best bit, very good quality alloy from Genesis.
    I'd say snap it up while it's on special offer. Not many places reducing 2012 bikes like that!
  • Hi there, my dad's neighbour, owns this bike shop in halifax, and well he seems ok, but some of the staff in there just do your head in! I went there with my dad looking at genesis bikes too, and one of the younger staff, well what can I say, he didn't talk much about bikes or even know much about them, and besides the fact that he rambled on about how cheap they get the bikes in for, and how they make masses of money, it was enough to drive you crazy! :roll:

seems a very good specced bike for the money though!