Bonking

kentphil
kentphil Posts: 479
edited February 2012 in The bottom bracket
I went out cycling today after a break of 3 weeks, enforced by kids being sick and their half term break. Got to about 30miles and went up a short climb and my legs had nothing left in them. I had to get of and walk for a bit! Luckily I was close to my parents house and popped in for a refuel.

This hasn't happened to me before and came as a bit of a shock. Lessons learned 1) Don't go full on after a break from riding and 2) take an energy bar etc in case this happens.

Sorry if anyone was expecting any "other" bonking discussion here! :-)
1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
2004 Giant TCR

Comments

• KentPhil wrote:
    I went out cycling today after a break of 3 weeks, enforced by kids being sick and their half term break. Got to about 30miles and went up a short climb and my legs had nothing left in them. I had to get of and walk for a bit! Luckily I was close to my parents house and popped in for a refuel.

This hasn't happened to me before and came as a bit of a shock. Lessons learned 1) Don't go full on after a break from riding and 2) take an energy bar etc in case this happens.

Sorry if anyone was expecting any "other" bonking discussion here! :-)

Damn you. :|
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    I have'nt been on my bike this year yet.......

Say no more.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    I experienced my first 'bonk' (hoho) last year on a relatively hilly but not too crazy ride up the Angus Glens here in Scotland. Headwind and rain set in and by the time we had 10 miles to go to reach our destination, two of us had nothing at all left. And no food left with no town nearby. We rode the last 10 miles at about 6 or 7mph the whole way, even on the downhills. Miserable day that taught me a lot about nutrition!
  • eede
    eede Posts: 58
    Sounds like you've discovered why touring bikes have a huge spread of gears. Nothing like turning into a vicious headwind without a town for miles. Happened to me with 3 Cerevelos weight of camping gear on the bike. Less than 10 kph average for longer than I care to remember. Never been so pleased to find a French public toilet to rest in :shock:
    Friend of Herne Hill Velodrome: http://www.hernehillvelodrome.com/friends/
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Went out this afternoon 35k round trip (did part of stage 5 Volta Ao Algarve) after eating lunch, first half of journey into headwind had to eat a chocolate biscuit after 17k to stop me from bonking and keep me going until 25k, then eat a 50gram cheese sandwich, brown bread complex carbs for long term bonk avoidance, and 3 dried apricots for short term bonk avoidance, this kept me going until I got home, now have to sit very still until I eat dinner at 8pm, well that's my excuse for not cooking dinner sorted :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Had a really good one yesterday thanks....

Oh damn, wrong forum...

Again.

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk