Maxxis Ikon- recommended?

pseymour
pseymour Posts: 194
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
I ride a Giant Anthem and am looking for a fast rolling but relatively grippy rear tyre (its a obviously a pay-off).
Has anyone ridden one and what were their thoughts? I'm also interested in running an Ardent but the Ikon looks faster rolling to me. I ride the Twrch trail at Cwmcarn and avoid the mud whenever possible.
Giant Anthem X3 2010.

Comments

• tboy823
    tboy823 Posts: 102
    I got some good advice here
    viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12837383

here's another link

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k371/a ... lding.html

tyres here look cheaper than UK outlets
    Boardman Team FS 2011

Never let your computer know you're in a hurry.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    No experience of them but they seem a pretty lightweight tyre mostly designed for marathons etc. so not sure if they'd be a great choice just for general riding at a fairly rocky trail centre. Have you tried a Crossmark? They more well on the rear IME with a raised centre line for reduced rolling resistance. They can slide a bit when you push them but they're pretty predictable.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Ikons are XC race tyres - light, fast, fragile, skinny etc. You could go for the EXO version but then it would be heavier and not as fast.

The problem with tyres is that most of the time we are splitting hairs and unless we're continually riding round a muddy field or along dry fireroads it doesn't really matter, conditions & terrain are so varied. I went out last night armed with an Ardent F and a CrossMark R; the CrossMark was squirrely in the damp but like a rat up a drainpipe on the dry sections. The Ardent stuck like glue on greasy rocks and roots but dragged on the fireroads.

Ardents are big, floaty things that get their grip from low pressures so that they conform to the terrain. They're not fast but they're not slow either and they shoulder-charge their way very effectively through a wide range of conditions. CrossMarks roll faster and they are surprisingly grippy in all conditions except soft loamy stuff and pure mud. Would have to be a dry day on a buff trail centre before I'd use one on the front though.