Arghh pedals and shoes !!

copster
copster Posts: 21
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
So I'm about to purchase my first road bike (Cube Peleton Race). To be used for my commute and weekly training rides. Need to get some shoes/pedals but can't decide between MTB types and road types. My commute includes a train ride so I need to be able to walk a few hundred yards each end of the train station. Will that be a problem in road shoes?

What shoes/pedals are recommended for a beginner? I am used to riding in flats...

Comments

• Well, if you're going to be walking about I'd recommend going down the MTB route - Shimano PD-M540 and Specialized BG Sport Mountain.

There are lots of options out there though.
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    SPD's all the way. The recessed cleat and easy action beats any of the road pedals hands down for commuting use.

Don't think that this means you need MTB shoes/pedals though, there are quite a few road biased SPD options out there (often refered to as "Touring" shoes/pedals). Try looking at Shimano A520 or A530 pedals (depending whether or not you'd like to keep the option of riding in flat shoes from time to time) and Specialized BG Sport Touring Shoes (or similar)
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    Kerguelen wrote:
    There are lots of options out there though.
    and many, many discussions already conducted in these forums:

search.php

(though I'd say Kerguelen has given you a good starting point).
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Thanks for the pointers guys. Off to check out the suggestions :-)
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    It's not just Shimano SPDs that are the only option for 2-hole resessed cleats - check out Time ATAC pedals. A good road-like MTB shoe to check out is a Mavic Pulse.
  • I'm using Shimano A530 pedals and Shimano RT82 shoes, and it works well for me.
  • sexysi
    sexysi Posts: 50
    SPD's all the way, have 3 road bikes and 1 MTB, with 2 pairs of shoes, all have SPD's fitting, great for commuting, bit harder on the MTB, espically off road.

si
    "Oh, Edmund! Can it be true? That I hold here, in my mortal hands, a nugget of purest green!"
    Road = 1980 Raleigh Record Sprint
    MTB = 2000 Scott Vail
    Road = 2002 Peugeot c300 comp road race bike
    Road = 2012 Bianchi Impulso
    Car = Saab 93, MGTF
  • I've got Shimano PD-M520's on my commuter, and PD-A520's on the beast bike. Paired with Sidi Eagle 5 MTB shoes.

I decided the comfort of a quality MTB shoe was more of a priority that rocking some fancy road pedals on a road bike,
    Trek 1.1c (2012) - For commuting
    Trek Madone 5.5c (2010) - For pleasure http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o62 ... G_0413.jpg
  • Depends on your view - souly for commuting short to medium distances (up to 12-15 miles)SPD shoes will probablly be perfect for you. On longer rides the addtional stifness/cleat area of a road shoe/pedal may be worth the walk being a bit tougher? The differance this makes will be largely down to your shoes - very stiff shoes mean that SPD to SPD-SL/Look/Speedplay may not be that big a diferance, but with cheaper shoes you will feel it.
    if it was me I would put up with the penguin walk if the ride was more than 10 miles.

Also bear in mind if you plan on doing long rides or club runs so you dont need to buy 2 sets... Personally I do 15 miles each way with a 2-300m walk each end and I use Speedplay Zeros-known as the worst to walk in - and I find it OK.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,631
    RPD Steve wrote:
    if it was me I would put up with the penguin walk if the ride was more than 10 miles.
    And I'm quite happy to ride 100+ miles with SPDs, and am not pootling along. I wouldn't do that if I weren't comfortable though - whatever system you use, comfort and convenience are the watchwords.
  • For sure! I don't get on too well with SPD hence my choice... Has the OP any friends/club where they can try both to see if they find any preferance?
  • Thanks for the advice guys really helpful.

From looking around taking it all in I think I am most likely to go the MTB type route. Something like Shimano M540's and Specialized Pro MTB shoes is my thoughts. Need to get into my LBS and try some on for comfort.

Remembered that I have some Northwave Goretex Winter boots in the cupboard which are SPD fitment has helped with the decision also!
  • copster
    copster Posts: 21
    Just to close this off. Went for shimano m520's and managed to bag a pair of spec BG Sport Road Shoes on eBay for £30 :-)

Having ridden in clipped in for the first time ever I have managed two days without mishap!!

Loving the road bike and already knocked 2 mins off my PB for my commute and increased av speed from 13.5mph to 16mph :-)