parking near park lane

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Hi all.

I need to (shudder) take the car into central London in Thursday. Any suggestions for parking near to Park Lane that won't cost about the value of the car?
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,771
    Can you park further out and jump on a train (or bike)?
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    There is an NCP under Hyde Park itself, entrance on Park Lane N/bound
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Pufftmw wrote:
    There is an NCP under Hyde Park itself, entrance on Park Lane N/bound

+1.

But it'll cost.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Can you park further out and jump on a train (or bike)?
    This.

Where you driving in from? I've parked in/near Brent Cross a bunch of times, after dropping people off at Stansted, and it's not a long ride into London. I'm sure there are similar options from most directions, in most cases you just have to find a residential street that's sufficiently far from the nearest rail/tube station not to have residents' parking.

Used to be able to park near Canary Wharf for around 12 quid a day. I haven't done it for a couple of years, but I doubt it's gone up much.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Ooo, ooo, ooo! I know!

Park in Richmond Park, get the bike out of the boot, and indulge in some SCR, arriving at your destination the sweatiest of sweaty messes. :mrgreen:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I've used a couple near Edgware Road tube that's fairly reasonable.

http://en.parkopedia.co.uk/parking/stat ... ad-london/

Number 2 and 6 on the map

About 15 min walk to Park Lane, or you can jump on a bus down Edgware Road.

Edit: Ooh, ooh! There're a couple Boris Bike stands near those car parks!
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    And don't forget to stay on or to the west side of Edgware Rd/Park Lane to avoid the congestion charge.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Parking in London is so expensive, I'd just buy a car when I get here (or 'there', from your POV).
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • SimonAH
    Awsome, thanks all.

I actually need to get the car pretty near to Park Lane as I'll have two bikes in there as I'm meeting my roadie American brother with the prospect of a London ride as a (surprise) treat for him.

I guess I'll have to sacrifice at the evil alter of NCP.

• tgotb
    Just a thought... This is a weekday, right?

Weekends are easier, and I wouldn't be surprised if you can park somewhere round there for free on a Sunday (I often park for free outside the Albert Hall on a Sunday, to take the kids to one of the museums, for instance).
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,111
    Q-Park on the Northbound side of Park Lane is £4/hr - not too bad for Central London.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    There is a place I park just inside the congestion zone and a few hundred yards from park lane for £15 a day but it is secret so I am not telling you. It is usually booked up.
    London zoo car park used to be about £15 a day with the benefit of no congestion charge and a nice start to the ride around regents park.
  • merkin
    Also there was a relatively cheap underground car park at kensington road junction with Ennismore gardens. Cash only though and you may need to leave keys.
  • SimonAH
    merkin wrote:
    There is a place I park just inside the congestion zone and a few hundred yards from park lane for £15 a day but it is secret so I am not telling you. It is usually booked up.
    London zoo car park used to be about £15 a day with the benefit of no congestion charge and a nice start to the ride around regents park.

Pm me ya bugger! I'm in London with a car about once a decade!

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    SimonAH wrote:
    merkin wrote:

Pm me ya bugger! I'm in London with a car about once a decade!

So, you coming to the Morpeth for a flashpint?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • merkin
    Pm sent, I think.
  • tgotb
    merkin wrote:
    It still is around £15 (took kids to the zoo a couple of months ago), but if you're going to be on a bike anyway you might aswell park for free in Cricklewood, about a mile further North...
    Pannier, 120rpm.