Hydration Pack...?????

swiftyx2
swiftyx2 Posts: 203
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi Folks,

Ok looking for a new pack as my current Camelbak is not big enough for my needs (Lobo).
Looking for something that will carry plenty of stuff,waterproof, pads, helmet, grub, tools, spares clothing etc.
Think maybe 3ltr fluid, 12 ltr space..?

So come on tell me what you have got and is it any good.......

Thanks

Steve
Eddy Merckx EMX-3 Carbon Athena
Marin Attack Trail 6.8
Marin Wolfridge 6.8 Stolen by sum Scum Bags
Trek 6500
Bianchi Carbon

Comments

• 2011 HAWG NV here, it's brill, 3 litre bladder and can fit a weekends worth of clobber in it. Comfy too.
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Tom Howard wrote:
    2011 HAWG NV here, it's brill, 3 litre bladder and can fit a weekends worth of clobber in it. Comfy too.

^^ Same.
  • Another vote for the hawg here too. Great quality, loads of space and good fit too! Get one!
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Do you lot ride about trails etc with that thing on your backs? It's huge!
  • Camelback Mule
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Concorde wrote:

Not everyone is a racing snake ya know. :lol:
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    Concorde wrote:

Not everyone is a racing snake ya know. :lol:

Neither am. Far from it I just wouldn't fancy lugging that about all day on my back.
  • welsh_14
    welsh_14 Posts: 259
    Another vote for the HAWG from me. That's what me and my dad both use. Fantastic packs for all day riding. Can't say I've ever noticed how big it is while riding!
  • Dakine Nomad.

And that's from an ex Camelbak user. Better bladder, better valve, zipped openings that fold completely open so far better access to every bit of the pack.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • swiftyx2
    swiftyx2 Posts: 203
    Gents,

Thanks for the info.....

Going to take a look at the H.A.W.G. I also thought it was too big,but as you guys so different I will go take a look.

Cheers

Steve
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3 Carbon Athena
    Marin Attack Trail 6.8
    Marin Wolfridge 6.8 Stolen by sum Scum Bags
    Trek 6500
    Bianchi Carbon
  • d00m
    d00m Posts: 160
    Osprey viper 13? 3 litre bladder and 13litre stotage. Well made, and looks cool. I love the stretchy outer pocket and energy bar/ipod pouch on the strap :)
  • Another vote for the HAWG. I bought this after having a Mule for a couple of years and have been more than happy with it. It may be large but you only need to put in what you need for the type of riding that you will be doing.
  • If you are worry about it being too big, the hawg has loads of compression straps to pack it down too
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • I'm using a Deuter race ex air, only downside you need to buy the bladder separately.

I use mine on the trails and commuting with no problems. (lunch, tools, pump, trousers, shirt, sweatshirt)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hawg NV here also. I'm used to carrying it around all day, no problem.

Though I don't usually have it crammed full and it compresses down as said. Got it for the option of doing so if I like. Mainly because I can get an SLR camera in there :D (I don't take the big camera on every ride of course, though tends to go with me on many days skiing as the views are always fantastic).

Not sure about the latest model but mine has a holder at the front on the outside for a helmet to sit in also, or pads. Full face wouldn't fit in there, but could be strapped on easily.

Oh, only criticism - the zip pullers keep pulling off.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Camelbak Mule.
    Bigger than a Lobo smaller than a Hawg 8)
  • Yacoby
    Yacoby Posts: 211
    I have the Osprey Raptor 14 which has 14L of space and 3L of water which I find big enough for Food/Clothing etc for a longish ride. Far too long straps though.