Rider down, Evelyn St just past car auctioneers

noodles71
noodles71 Posts: 153
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Riding past heading south and I saw someone flat out under a blanket. Can't work out what happened as it was clear of the bus stop and they would have been in the cycle lane. Scarily he was right under the black spot warning sign. The guy looked conscious and wasn't screaming in agony so hopefully he makes a full and speedy recovery. The ambulance must have taken its time as it looked like he had been there a while with the number of people about to help. Hope it isn't anyone from here.

:(

Comments

• Lbaguley
    Lbaguley Posts: 161
    That would have been me. There is a sunken manhole cover in the cycle lane (which I know about and usually manage to avoid) and must have just caught the edge of it as my front wheel just went sideways. There were at least two guys following me at a decent lick and they piled into me. I was eventually taken to hospital (over an hour after the ambulance was called!) and given the all clear as regards my back, but an ultrasound revealed an enlarged left kidney so I was kept in overnight for observation and for a further ultrasound scan this morning. Thankfully there's no damage to my kidney and although battered, bruised and very sore I'm fine (probably thanks to the codeine I popped just over an hour ago).

I'd just like to say a big thank you to all who stopped and helped me or just asked if everything was ok. A big shout out also to the lovely couple from Canterbury (who were visiting his Dad and walking their dog) who returned with a duvet and a cushion, supplied coffee to those who waited with me and (last but very much not the least) took my bike back to my flat! Thank you so much!

Safe riding all.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    glad your ok

remember - chicks love scars
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Glad to know you're OK(ish). I even did a Twatter search, but I really don't know how to use it so came up blank.

Will you be complaining to the council. If you don't complain nothing will get done and the next cyclist may not be as lucky as you. I think LCC have a link to complain and apparently it works quite well. I say all of this, but I've never done it, as, like you, I assume that I know where the dangers are and that I'll always ride around them.

Right, enough of that touchy feely stuff, hows the bike?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • mudcow007 wrote:

...and as for enlarged kidneys! You'll be beating them off with a stick!

Glad you're ok.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    mudcow007 wrote:

...and as for enlarged kidneys! You'll be beating them off with a stick!

Glad you're ok.

"Can you keep the swelling but remove the pain...?"

Thinking about it, that was in reference to another organ.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Glad you're ok Lbaguley!
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Good thing you're on the mend. Also fantastic to hear that people helped out so much. When we spend a lot of the rides dodging hostility it's good to see that people rally around to help.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Glad you're OK.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game