Route advise: Calais to Koblenz

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
I'll be heading over to Koblenz in April, driving from Calais any advise on which route or places to avoid etc?
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Head north along the coast, turn right towards Brussels, round the outer ring on towards Aachen. Not too sure from there but I think round Cologne, Dusseldorf area and down to Koblenz.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Yep, head towards Brussels: you can go like sh1t off a stick that way. Good road, that.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    Thanks now guess why i'm heading there :-)
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Some sort of lederhosen wearing thigh slapping contest?
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    itboffin wrote:

The horticultural festival?
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    What the others said. Drove back from Austria that way on Sunday, very good roads and no tolls (even in France). The Dutch don't seem to be too good at clearing the snow off their motorways (once had to use chains to get across the border into Germany) but shouldn't be an issue in April!
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    itboffin wrote:

You keep a young Thai man there?

The obvious answer.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    You can only have a test ride of a Canyon at its factory in Koblenz. That coupled with you enjoy beer, leather and sausage.

What's my prize?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    JZed wrote:
    You can only have a test ride of a Canyon at its factory in Koblenz. That coupled with you enjoy beer, leather and sausage.

What's my prize?

I thought there was a guy in Essex who offered test rides?

That may only have been of the beer and the sausage though.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • itboffin
    JZed wrote:

What's my prize?

Well done, some sausage ;-)
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:
    JZed wrote:

What's my prize?

Well done, some sausage ;-)

edit: oh and it's the Amstel gold race too ....gulp!
  • itboffin
    two things, firstly Amstel gold in 2 weeks - gulp!

secondly yesterday was payday and there it was a big fat £2k recruitment payment for introducing someone to the company.

Now just an extra €699 ish and I'll have myself a shiney new Canyon CF SLX

droooooooool
  • itboffin
    Well I made it and not just the test ride at Canyon but also the Amstel gold race and a few very nice cobbled rides in Koblenz, for the most part we missed the really wet bits.

I'm terrible at remembering to take photos or for that matter taking a good photo but we did take a few of the trip

Me crossing the finish line the 1st time
    SDC13376.JPG

Where the fook did I leave my bike ?????
    SDC13377.JPG

One of two MASSHOOF beer tents, my kinda people
    SDC13378.JPG

Bike back at the hotel after performing excellently once again
    SDC13379.JPG
  • itboffin
    and finally back in Brugge before the journey home
    SDC13407.JPG
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,333
    itboffin wrote:
    Bike back at the hotel after performing excellently once again
    SDC13379.JPG

Just shows you.

A lot of buying and selling over the years but the aluminium Trek still performs...
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • itboffin
    Very true when it comes to it that bike wins hands down, not sure if a Trek carbon would be better but this baby feels like someone else is riding for me.