Critics.

Aggieboy
Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
edited February 2012 in The bottom bracket
Why do we have them/are they worth their pay? In my (simplistic maybe) view, you're simply either going to agree or disagree with their view. You'd also be a bit daft for instance, to not go and see a film or art exhibition on someone else's say so. I'm more likely to eat a meal because Jay Rayner says it's crap anyway :lol:
"There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."

Comments

• I once went to the cinema to watch a film with high critical acclaim called (In the company of wolves) IIRC.

It was an absolute pile of sh1t.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • You have to start somewhere when looking to pick a film to watch or a play to see don't you? I agree some of them aren't worth their corn but you can get an idea over time who is worth paying attention to. For my sins I used to read the Times and there were a couple of critics they used and eventually I recognised which one was more aligned to my tastes and which one to ignore. Food and music are much more subjective however imo. Especially food...thinking about it now food critics should be thrashed. Repeatedly. Getting paid to eat...tw@'s!
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Gizmodo wrote:
    Never read what a critic has written. Reviews are the way to go :D

Totally agree, if I'm looking at buying something I search on-line for honest reviews. I don't care if they're negative/positive so long as I get a balanced opinion.

Love n Hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • Theres a difference between being a critic and offering a critique, I used to love listening to Kaleidoscope on radio 4 and the arts show on radio 3 with the great john carey (prof now that he is), marghanita laskey, and the uber sexy (well she was then, feck i'd still have a go on her) Michelene Wandor. They put their criticisms in context and saw all art as valuable so tried to see the best in it be it a new howard barker play or the new wedding present lp. High minded, curiousity seeking people with a passion for their tastes; that's what a critic should be. Obviously its hard be a restaurant critic and put things in a cultural context, a hot pie and a stiff sausage do not share the same metonymy, unless of course in the girls in short skirts thread. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    I found this to be a very interesting question, one that had me thinking from the moment I started reading. Aggie asks us, do we need someone's opinion to help us decide if we should buy, eat, listen, watch? He certainly leaves you in no doubt how he feels, stating that he'd probably eat a sh*t meal if he read it was sh*t. Ultimately though, Aggie leaves you the reader to make up your own mind.

If you read any post tonight, read this one.
  • Theres a difference between being a critic and offering a critique, I used to love listening to Kaleidoscope on radio 4 and the arts show on radio 3 with the great john carey (prof now that he is), marghanita laskey, and the uber sexy (well she was then, feck i'd still have a go on her) Michelene Wandor. They put their criticisms in context and saw all art as valuable so tried to see the best in it be it a new howard barker play or the new wedding present lp. High minded, curiousity seeking people with a passion for their tastes; that's what a critic should be. Obviously its hard be a restaurant critic and put things in a cultural context, a hot pie and a stiff sausage do not share the same metonymy, unless of course in the girls in short skirts thread. :D

:shock: Are you taking the piss man?????

:shock: Are you taking the wee-wee man?????

waaar no, I used to love her voice.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Aggieboy
    A good example of what I mean here. The author, as always, thinks his articles are funny,witty and brilliant, others don't agree.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Aggieboy wrote:
    A good example of what I mean here. The author, as always, thinks his articles are funny,witty and brilliant, others don't agree.

Oh I don't know so much... :wink:

Love n Hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • Aggieboy
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:

Oh I don't know so much... :wink:

Love n Hugs

DD

Cheques in the post.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    This guys brilliant! 4.78 stars.
  • I enjoy reading restaurant reviews even though I will never eat in the places reviewed, or if I did would have forgotten what was written. They are entertaining, informative and brief essays, a form thought of as in decline. The same applies to theatrical and concert reviews, although book reviews may be closer to the life I live. Wine criticism is more relevant to me but not every critic has the same taste as me , so I am more discriminating in my choice of critic, if not in my choice of wine. I think that bike reviewers have the hardest of tasks, FFS, it's a bike for less than £500, like all the other bikes for £500.... a list of differences with no appreciable difference, then repeat for £1,000, £1,500, £2,000.....
    The older I get the faster I was