Carbon frame full suspension ???

jd_lang
jd_lang Posts: 44
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
What are the benifits (other than weight) of a full carbon frame on a full suspension bike with 5/6in travel ?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Could be stiffer, could be stronger, really depends on the frames in question.
  • 2012 Zesty 514.... is it worth the jump from the aluminium 314 ? I dont know, i've never owned a carbon bike !
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Same as they were on Singletrack :-)
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I would say that carbon in my eyes is the best possible material if you can afford it, I'm completely sold on the stuff, if its made well, which 95% of frames are these days, then you will have few problems with it.
  • I've just had my scott spark carbon frame replaced under warranty. Went in for a service dealer noticed a couple of cracks. I didnt.
    Couldnt tell you how long they had been there. Its not put me off carbon and I WOULD buy the 2012 if A: swmbo wasnt looking and B: I wasnt still happy with mine.

Some people still think carbon is brittle. blah blah blah.

I've had an issue with my frame but I know people how have had more issues with their ALU frames.

The problem is IF carbon goes it GOES. Whereas if a metal frame goes pop its generally a little more subtle.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just different is all I can say, though I've not had a full sus carbon. With hard tail you can say carbon is stiff but I find it springy in that it's light and bounces right off everything. Less flex I'd say. Takes a bit of getting used to but goes exactly where you expect it to, and I rather like it. Actually makes the full sus seem like more work after riding the carbon hard tail.

Don't worry at all about strength, potential for breaking etc. Carbon is seriously tough stuff and is far less likely to break than alloy or steel. They make F1 cockpits out of the stuff to protect the drivers in a serious crash after all!

You'll see alarming stuff about ways to break carbon, but it's very rare for these to happen normally on a ride.