Fox Float RL Shock Tuning

bobgfish
bobgfish Posts: 545
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello

Got an old 2004 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR with the Fox Float RL Shock fitted. It was push tuned some time ago by TF Tuned in maybe 2007 and as part of the push tuning the lockout is removed.

The shock was very plush and absolutely fantastic in the alps in technical stuff. It did however seem to suck the life force out of me when doing XC which was not really solved with adding loads of air pressure. Bearable but noticable that it was plush.

I've sent the shock back finally 4 years later for it's "annual" service and they have mentioned an option is to switch from it's current High Volume Canister to a Low volume Canister. The theory being that it should help with the XC riding.

http://www.pushindustries.com/2009/index.php?menu_id=60&type=products&title=FOX%20FLOAT%20Air%20Sleeves&product_id=59

My next trip is a 9 day XC race across farmland etc and shortly after will be in the French and Swiss Alps for PassPortes du Soliel with the same bike through very techical terrain.

Has anyone else done this with a 4 bar bike like this? Did it help and was it OK in the alps still?

Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The LV shock will cause the suspension to ramp up later in the travel. Useful if you are hitting larger objects more regularly, but will not really effect bob when pedalling in the earlier parts of the travel.

I'd be looking at the damper ie Rp23.
  • bobgfish
    Yep

The RP23 is an option. The issue with that is this is for an old bike. The RP23 is maybe £400 where as I can get the shock "fixed" for £150 ish. Loathe to buy brand new when the frame is going to die at some point and It will be hit and miss if the new shock can be moved to the new frame. The damping will be changed by TF Tuned so will be better suited than current for XC.

The whole idea of it being "Push tuned in the first place is
    "the low-speed rebound circuit can be changed to match individual needs without affecting the high-speed circuit. This allows increased low-speed rebound damping rates, which aids in controlling excessive movement, while at the same time allowing the shock to respond more quickly in high-speed situations"
    Quote form TF Tuned website

Anyone moved from High Volume to Low Volume and thought it was better?
  • supersonic
    The alternative is to try the latest RockShox:

http://www.2wheelsonly.co.uk/rockshox-m ... 7381-p.asp

3 position floodgate allows some tuning over compression platform, and dual flow rebound works well over larger hits yet maintains beginning stroke adjustment. At £200 is worth looking into if it one fits!

With HV vs LV, at least with HV you can add internal spacers to reduce air volume (or could with Fox). I run a very similar sus system with a standard RS Bar 'low volume' can and do like the ramp up towards the end.

Quite a few options it seems!
  • bobgfish
    Always options...Sometimes in life to many.

The newer fox models take the internal spaces. Just not my old model. I will have the LV and HV can and will be able to swap...The damping won't be perfect moving from one to the other...Just not sure to actaully move to the LV still.

Decisions before tomorrow when calling TF Tuned !!!
  • bobgfish
    Went for the Low Volume in the end. Still will have the HV can to swap back if I don't like it. Can also send shock back for different tuning if it doesn't suit. Will have to wait a week or so before I get it back to test !!!
  • supersonic
    If you don't experiment, you never know! Always was worth a shot. Money permitting!