Is this tyre too big?

DHA987S
DHA987S Posts: 284
edited February 2012 in MTB general
My yeti ASR5 says max tyre size is 2.35, I have got some hans dampfs all ready to go but have read that they come up a bit big. So I mounted one to a spare wheel and stuck it on the back. It looks like there is very little room for mud (frame is helitaped)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e53/D ... G_0364.jpg

Good idea or not to run them?

(if not who wants two unused (one mounted once) hans dampfs! :lol: )

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    should be fine I imagine, unless the frame flexes abit then there might be issues, but I would say they should be ok. If not and you do want rid of them, expect a PM :lol:
  • DHA987S
    No noticeable (to me) frame flex. Hmmm
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Meh, as long as it spins round it'll be alright eh 8)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So how is that rim compared to the ones you will use?

What size are the tyres stated to be?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • DHA987S
    Tyres are stated at 2.35 so in theory "should" be fine. Running them on crests (yes I know not a complete match for the tyres but I wasn't spending lots on new rims when I built the new bike)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Tyre sizes vary a lot. My 2.35 Muddy Mary's are quite a lot bigger than my 2.5 Highrollers
  • Yes.... It is too big.... When the tyre flexes when you go round corners or if you put torque in uphill, the tyre will rub on the swingarm / chainstays... I had this on a Yeti a few years back with a Hutchinson Jumbo and it wore through an alloy swingarm as I chose to ignore the motorbike sound on railed berms.

If you try it and it doesn't rub... happy days, leave as is.... If it does, take it off straight away... A new Yeti swing arm is around £450.... Not worth it for a tyre maxing at £50...

Just my 2 pence worth...
  • DHA987S
    Yeah if it rubs at all when mounted or when I ride then it's off. not going to risk it
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    Don't forget the risk of getting a buckle in the wheel. Since the arrival of disk brakes, you can no longer 'hear' when you rim isn't running true...now you find out when you wash your bike and find all the paint missing from the chainstay !