Gear cable ferrule splitting

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Keep having this problem where the ferrule that connects the gear cable to a gear lever keeps splitting. Had this on my old bike with Deore shifters and new bike with X9 shifters.

Result of this as as I shift to higher gears on the rear, so releasing tension the outer moves out slightly with the cable and exposes the wire strands of the outer that have become exposed over time. Shifting lower pulls it in and the strands catch.

To resolve I'd have to strip it all, pulling the cable through to fit another ferrule or replace the whole lot. Either way, faffing about involved with possible re-indexing too.

Any tips on how to stop this, or is it just inevitable as they wear?

Doesn't even seem like the cable is at some weird angle causing it to split. Just used a lot.

Guessing about a year's worth of use on it, so I could just count it as all worn and replace the cable inner/outer and ferrules, though it's shifting fine.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what outers?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Not sure, just as supplied with the bike. Was ex-demo think built a year back. Santa Cruz dealer. Don't know if they fitted stuff themselves or it's just what came with the bike from factory. Looks like any ordinary full length outer.
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Sounds like there's too much friction on the cables, mine completely stopped working in the recent cold weather after a long wet ride so I've just replaced the lot with SP41 outers, SP40 ferrules, Shimano inners and hopefully the magic trick to keep them working Middleburn Cable Oilers...Lovely jubbly :D