Money to burn 2

sandy771
sandy771 Posts: 368
edited February 2012 in MTB general
As a contrast to the money to burn thread and as a bit of fun - what do you see as more of a necessity than a nicety? what would you spend money on when upgrading a stock bike (and buying accessories).

Most/All of these are a result of listening to the much more experienced guys that I ride with

My list of purchases so far (over the last year):
dropper seat post
decent pedals
decent shoes (on order)
70mm stem (down from 100)
2 x 1200 lumen lights for night stuff
knee/ankle pads (looking at elbow/body armour 661/forcefield - not as young as I was and bumps hurt)
camelbak
sealskinz
mud guard thingy to stop spray coming through forks

None of these are probably necessities but the guys I ride with pretty much have most of them so prob more than a nicety.

accessories might start outstripping cost of bike soon :)

What have I missed? Hopefully spending spree is coming to an end, my missus is understanding but there is a limit....

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I dread to think what I've bought this past year or so!!!!!

Completed the HD, which has since had two new tyres perhaps soon to be three, maxlight needs a new rear so might chuck a hans dampf's, new XT brakes and icetech rotors, 2 dropper posts, joplin and a now a reverb, e-thirteen LG1 chainguide and new chain ring, tubeless kit...

maxlight in the last 2 months alone has a whole new 1x10 xt drivetrain, new m785 Xt brakes, new superstar wheels, new bars, new pedals, cables...

Both old sets of brakes had new pads in for when I sold them too...

Dread to total it all up really!!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    dropper seat post
    decent pedals
    decent shoes (on order)
    70mm stem (down from 100)
    2 x 1200 lumen lights for night stuff
    knee/ankle pads (looking at elbow/body armour 661/forcefield - not as young as I was and bumps hurt)
    camelbak
    sealskinz

A lot will depend on the rider. Good pedals yes, and shoes (but what is good for one...). Gravity droppers, pads and sealskinz are something I can easily do without, and a 600 lumen MS P7 will get most people of road. As for stems, I run 90mm at the min ;-). horses for courses.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Seems like everything listed here so far falls into the luxury catagory! Shoes I agree with. Waterproof socks are a godsend. Decent gloves, glasses and buckets of soapy water. Apart from the bike itself, what more do you need?