New Handbar Advice

simonp123
simonp123 Posts: 490
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
I decided to treat my bike last week whilst I am unable to ride due to recent carpal tunnel surgery. I got a new 70mm stem to replace the 90mm old and heavy standard-fit item I had transfered form my old bike. Conviced I had an oversize EA70 bar I bought a stem to suit, but no my bar is a 25.4mm :oops: I even checked Easton's website which confirmed that they only make 31.8mm EA70 bars. I guess that they used to make smaller which is what I bought 3 years back. :roll:

Anyway after my cock-up I decided perhaps I should just get new bars, and use it as an oporutnity to go wider than 685mm and possibly to carbon which is alleged to help with wrist and hand issues due to "buzz" absorbtion. Usefull given my recent issues.
My only qualm (apart from £££££s!)is whether they will be strong enough given that I am around 17st (110Kg). Any views/experiences?
The Answer ProTaper Carbon 720 AM 1" rise looks tempting from a length & strength point of view. The EC70 ones are also tempting, but could do with longer. There are some cheaper options around, but I am guessing that cheap carbon bars equalls potential trouble?

Bike is based on a 2006 Stumpjumper 120 frame by the way.

Comments