Forest of Dean Uplift - Blue Pig or Stumpy?

Kaise
Kaise Posts: 2,498
edited February 2012 in MTB general
On Saturday I'm going to be heading to FoD for an uplift day and I have for a bit of a dilemma;

Stumpjumper, needs major maintenance including new bushes bolts on bearings in all fsr pivots and I haven't got the cash or the time to get it sorted in time

Ragley blue pig; running well,

I'm a confident rider whose done a fair few uplifts, but what I want to know is, are the FoD dh sections do-able on a long travel hard tail, or is it going to be less than enjoyable?!

Cheers

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I'd always pick a working bike over one that needs maintenance, especially when you might damage the stumpy further by riding it.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,659
    Tricky one that - the FoD trails I did (Sheepskull, Corkscrew, Ski Run IIRC) are do-able on a HT but it probably not the best way to do it. Depends how farked your Stumpy is and whether it will hold together for a day of abuse. That said, if it's too much like hard work on either bike after half a day you can always bail out of doing the 'proper' DH tracks and just wazz down the last section of Verderers a few times which is great fun but pretty easy.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • I reckon corkscrew would be really fun on a HT, its fairly smooth and nice and flowy.

The rest are a bit rootier/rougher from what I remember, but should still be fun on the HT.

Loads of lads on HT's when I was there, I'd take the Pig.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would take the Blue Pig over the Stumpy any time. Downhill on a hardtail is fun and there is nothing too rough at FoD. It will be very busy on the DH trails Saturday though with people practising for the mini downhill race on Sunday. Corkscrew should be reasonably quiet though as the race is probably on Sheepskull.
    I used to ride Triscombe on my On-One Summer Season and those trails are much gnarlier than anything at FoD.
  • I would take the Blue Pig over the Stumpy any time. Downhill on a hardtail is fun and there is nothing too rough at FoD. It will be very busy on the DH trails Saturday though with people practising for the mini downhill race on Sunday. Corkscrew should be reasonably quiet though as the race is probably on Sheepskull.
    I used to ride Triscombe on my On-One Summer Season and those trails are much gnarlier than anything at FoD.

Race confirmed to be on Sheepskull :wink:
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Excellent. Was hoping it would be :-)