School Run Mothers

2»

Comments

• rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,831
    Richie63 wrote:
    School mums ... Sherman tank. Probably :)

You take the Shermanator to a group of school mums. Cleat will want in on that!
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Aggieboy wrote:
    That's another sweeping statement. There are plenty of children at private schools who don't come from a privileged background. I know parents can hardly afford to send their children but work every hour they can, they scrimp and save and go without to do so. Others have bursaries and scholarships to assist.

Anyway, each to their own. You could always take some advice from Diane Abbott when the time comes :wink:
    Seriously true. I work hard and live like a pauper but local govt school = 3 storey institution with 3000 kids and the occasional stabbing.
    Son's school - massive grounds, victorian buildings, all the facilities including indoor pool, full gym.
    Seriously into DofE (doing his gold - a trip to the Himalayas including a weeks mountain biking, a weeks white water rafting and a week hike to Everest base camp) and cadets - he's in flying corp and gets yer actual flying lessons at a local RAF base.
    600 kids and it attracts the best teachers.

No contest. End of.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I think private schools can also minimise the child's exposure to certain, less savoury, parts of our society. Certainly, I was privately educated and was lucky enough to have little to no contact with some of the little cnuts that are running around the place these days. At least for my parents that was as much of a deciding factor as the quality of the education being provided.

Back on topic though, I agree that school run mum's are particularly poor drivers, and manage to display some of the most appalling attempts at 'parking' that I see, it seems to be the fashion around the schools in our local area to triple park now!
    Custom spec Scott Scale
    Custom spec Salsa Fargo
    Custom spec Scott CR1
    Scott Speedster S1
  • Funniest thing when I was at School... so very, very long ago...

We had a few farmers kids at the school and one was in my year. He missed the School bus so his Dad had to give him a lift into School. In a Rolls Royce.

Bloody thing pulls up at the School gate (Catholic Comprehensive) and the place just stopped... out pops whatshisface looking mortally embarrassed and skuttled off as fast as his chubby little legs could carry him :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • MattC59 wrote:
    So Rick, just out of interest (I'm not trying to change this into a private vs state school thread, 'cause I can't be ar*ed); money aside (as this is often the real decision maker), if the choice was a poorly performing school full of scroats, or a private school, where would your kids go ?

depends on how you decide the criteria for poorly performing .

the value added figure in the league tables. thats a far better indicator of school performance than how many KS2 level 5 /GCSEs/A Levels etc that they got.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • I think private schools can also raise the child's exposure to ass reaming, favoured by parts of upper society. Certainly, I was privately educated and was unlucky enough to have to have contact with some of the little cnuts that are running the place these days. At least for my parents that was as much of a deciding factor as the quality of the education being provided.

Back on topic though, I agree that school run mum's are particularly poor drivers, and manage to display some of the most appalling attempts at 'parking' that I see, it seems to be the fashion around the schools in our local area to triple park now!

FTFY
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • I believe most children ferried to school to protect them from the false perception there'e a peado 'round every corner (not so). The more real danger is from the child getting run over by a car driven by a mother doing the school run.

There was an incident in our town a few months ago, one mum almost had her child ran over by a speeding car driven by a "school run mum". Mum of child gave driver a piece of her mind, who then taking offence at the chastisement got a baseball bat out the car boot and tw@ted her round the head in front of all the other mums and their assembled children.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    I think private schools can also minimise the child's exposure to certain, less savoury, parts of our society. Certainly, I was privately educated and was lucky enough to have little to no contact with some of the little cnuts that are running around the place these days.

Why is that a good thing?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    cooldad wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:
    That's another sweeping statement. There are plenty of children at private schools who don't come from a privileged background. I know parents can hardly afford to send their children but work every hour they can, they scrimp and save and go without to do so. Others have bursaries and scholarships to assist.

Anyway, each to their own. You could always take some advice from Diane Abbott when the time comes :wink:
    Seriously true. I work hard and live like a pauper but local govt school = 3 storey institution with 3000 kids and the occasional stabbing.
    Son's school - massive grounds, victorian buildings, all the facilities including indoor pool, full gym.
    Seriously into DofE (doing his gold - a trip to the Himalayas including a weeks mountain biking, a weeks white water rafting and a week hike to Everest base camp) and cadets - he's in flying corp and gets yer actual flying lessons at a local RAF base.
    600 kids and it attracts the best teachers.

No contest. End of.

?

None of those things are not exclusive to private school kids?

They were all available at my state school.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Soggy Biscuit, anyone?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Does this explain why seemingly kids seem absolutely bleedin miserable beggars nowadays.. all ippodded to the gills and still they moan... just like the parents.
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I think private schools can also minimise the child's exposure to certain, less savoury, parts of our society. Certainly, I was privately educated and was lucky enough to have little to no contact with some of the little cnuts that are running around the place these days. At least for my parents that was as much of a deciding factor as the quality of the education being provided.

Used to make me laugh when I was younger the kids from Eltham College (Private school) had to get the same bus as us from the local comp.

At least we made them stand up and be counted. Probably did them the world of good.
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    Well its the second day commuting, didn't encounter any more school run mothers, but did encounter a few taxi drivers, pulling out in front of me as if I wasnt there. Shouldnt be surprised I guess, they do that to cars as well.
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    its not just school run mums... russian pop artists are also notoriously bad drivers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmIeIKmWsX0
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    One of the primary functions of private (public) schools - and one they perform well - is to teach the pupils that they are different to those not of similar privilege and thus they need make no effort to understand others, think of them, or give a sh1t. This is the preparation they get to run the empire (and goodness knows we need these types for that), and it is little surprise then, that their parents are by-and-large not people who try and identify with anyone else- hence the abuse everyone else will get from them. Cycling is, and will remain (as long as we have this class-ridden mess of a society that is anything but egalitarian, and which the public school system perpetuates) a pastime that those who do not ride consider (at best) quaint, and at worst part of the working class life of those they despise.
  • crazy88
    crazy88 Posts: 560
    Most disappointed with this thread. I thought I had found a new 3 pages of MILF pics, but oh well!
    Out with the old, in with the new here.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    pliptrot wrote:
    Blah blah blah Daily Mail blah blah blah Sun blah blah blah.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    crazy88 wrote:
    Most disappointed with this thread. I thought I had found a new 3 pages of MILF pics, but oh well!

I tried but then Rick joined the discussion and it went down the Guardian route instead!