Bonk.....bonk, bonk....

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Hi All,

I have been having a bit of trouble.....

Whilst out mountain biking (singletrack) with junior. I have found that junior keeps bonking me in the chest with the back of her helmet.

I use a Bobike front mounted childseat. The seat mounts as close to the stem as you can get on a bolt on bracket.

Analysis:

I use a thomson 130mm o degree stem on fc282 low rise bar - my preferences is quite an aero position for MTB'ing As such, I am thinking that to avoid these bonks, which upset junior and irritate me, I will need to gain a more upright position.

I am considering moving to a 100mm 10 degree rise stem - Does anyone know if this would really cure the problem?

Or do I need a rear pannier and childseat? Or a different childseat?

Junior is 2 years old and 10kg - bit of a shorty!

Any experience of changing position or having to re-seat much appreciated.

Comments

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I think you've answered your own question. Have a look in the Families and Kids forum on here too
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,771
    It's only going to get worse as junior grows. I used to do minor off roading with a rear mounted seat, then graduated to a tagalong. That made for interesting handling. Thankfully he's now big enough and bad enough to fall off without my help.
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Taking 30mm off the stem length is probably going to make quite a bit of difference to the handling.

My MTB handled noticeably differently just changing from a 110mm to a 100mm stem.

It should, in principle make the steering a lot snappier, but it might get a bit wearing on long rides.