Replacement FSA headset or bearing

d3matt
d3matt Posts: 510
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
While servicing my forks this weekend, I also got to my headseat for the first time. I have three questions:

1. How to I identify which FSA headset this is. All I know (from the Boardman spec) is that it is an "FSA Orbit integrated cartridge bearing". But when I go onto the FSA website, I'm confronted with loads called Orbit. All mine says on it is "FSA ABC". What does the ABC refer too? The washer says "MS073-1 1/8".

2. I need to replace the bottom bearing. For now I've removed the seals and tried to clean and repack with grease, but it's still rough. Does anyone know how to identify the bearing or where to get this bearing from?
I've found these and these but not sure if they're the correct ones.

3. If I wanted to replace the headset altogether, how do I know what do buy? i.e. what sizes or spec do I use to choose a replacement?

Thanks for the help.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so. is the headset an integrated one?

I would guess it is an internal/semi-integrated /Zero stack headset.

Internal cups rather than no cups.

check the dimensions again the ones on the UK bike shop.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • d3matt
    Don't know!
    Here's the frame photo. Are the silver parts the cups?
    The bearings sit in these with very little friction as I was able to pull them out easily with my finger.

• d3matt
    So no more help with this?

Is the silver top in the photo the cup? Are these supplied with the headset or part of the frame?

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    they are the cups and it is a zero stack headset like Nick says, tbh the cup looks fine,
    get a stanley blade and flick the seal off the bearings,(be careful and work away from your body and fingers)
    spray with a degreaser and clean them out,
    regrease,
    replace the bearing seal,
    headset done.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • d3matt
    I've already tried to clean out the bottom bearing, but its still rough. It will last for a little while, but does need replacing. I'm still at a loss as to what is the replacement bearing. I'm guessing I might need the upper bearing from here as both my top and bottom bearings are the same. But I still can't find any definite answers on this or ID what exact FSA headset I have.

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    what steerer have the forks got 1 1/8?
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • d3matt
    I would assume so as the headset washer says 1 1/8" . The forks are RockShox Reba SL, 120mm travel and 20mm Maxle.

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    d3matt wrote:
    I've already tried to clean out the bottom bearing, but its still rough. It will last for a little while, but does need replacing. I'm still at a loss as to what is the replacement bearing. I'm guessing I might need the upper bearing from here as both my top and bottom bearings are the same. But I still can't find any definite answers on this or ID what exact FSA headset I have.
    Not those - XLII has different size bearings top and bottom, they are just showing one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lasty
    lasty Posts: 218
    Same problem here mate . I had to take a trashed bearing down to Evans (Castleford) and couldn`t have been more helpful . They didn`t sell the bearing i needed (Pinnacle arrow integrated) but gave me details and a part number on the chainreaction website ....
    Bloody minefield but think i`ve got it sorted - good luck !
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Take a bearing into a bearing shop and they should be able to sort you out.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Download the FSA headset book in the tech links above and compare the bearing sizes you have with the internal ones in it. You will them know what to get.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown