Blowy

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Holey Moley - had to walk the bike across the middle section of the bridge this morning with 45mph gusts and 35mph steady winds. A welcome back to cycling after a week off the bike with this crappy bug that's lurking about. Still, at least it was mild (5C), the snow had melted (on the roads at least), and the Volagi was a joy to ride.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• Yes, a little bit hardcore this morning, 30 mph headwinds with 50 mph gusts on an exposed, coastal commute certainly keeps the speeds a little low. One of those winds that'll probably feel as tough on the way home, too. :(
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Strange. I never noticed anything.

Oh no. Hang on - That means I must have had a tailwind.
    There goes my awesomeness :wink:

Not looking forward to the return trip now.....
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Today is one of those days

You know the ones where the tail wind is a bit . . . . meh, underwhelming, disappointing.

But the headwind, Oh the headwind, puts you in the little ring fighting to turn the pedals.

How does that happen then :?
  • I'm watching the wind slowly swing around from the south (into which I was headed this morning) to the north. Oh well, I suppose I ride for fitness...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Oh well, I suppose I ride for fitness...

"Hills build strength, headwinds build character". Someone said that, somewhere.
  • I'm watching the wind slowly swing around from the south (into which I was headed this morning) to the north. Oh well, I suppose I ride for fitness...

Oh please, oh please, oh please..... :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Oh well, I suppose I ride for fitness...

"Hills build strength, headwinds build character". Someone said that, somewhere.

He was an idiot - trust me on this ;)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • I caught myself out on Sunday after cruising in the 50x12 sprocket for a few miles, turned a corner to head home and BAM - headwind of doom and dead legs meant it was 36x25 for the next 4 miles... Heroic!!!!

I'm fine - the wind has dropped.....

.....to 30mph :roll: :lol:

A healthy dose of MTFU chamois cream and I'll be fine :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I'm watching the wind slowly swing around from the south (into which I was headed this morning) to the north. Oh well, I suppose I ride for fitness...

One word.

Embrocation.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Yep were entering the other season (wind) down in Windshire marginally better than ice.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

It didn't - hard work in places but it seemed to be straight from the south so I had shelter on some parts.... still hard going in places though!
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    It was windy here as expected, I just applied some MTFU
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Yes - a bit of a grind but nothing we can't cope with. A least I didn't have to get off at the bridge as I had something closer to a headwind. Was impressed at the helicopter landing at the coastguard station under the bridge in this wind.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,371
    itboffin wrote:
    It was windy here as expected, I just applied some MTFU

Ditto.

Feeling it now though as the this came on top of digging the garden this weekend.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition