iphone cycling apps

Keen and mean
Keen and mean Posts: 35
edited February 2012 in The bottom bracket
At last im getting the iphone 4s, can any one recommend a good cycling app, this is all newish to me! :D
My Bikes
1978 BSA javerlin
1987 Mike Mullet 531c
2008 Giant TCR

Comments

• I'm using strava for mine. Works great and free too.
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    +1 for Strava.. more addictive than COD :lol:
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Sports Tracker is free and is available for iPhone, Android, Windows and Nokia.
    Cycling weakly
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    I use cyclemeter - was 2.99 when I bought it, its brilliant, tracks everything. Although I have since discovered Strava and may start using that
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    loads to choose from: and some good free ones as well!

Strava
    Endomondo
    Endomondo Pro ( not free ) cheap though
    Garmin ( not free ) cheap though
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    I have an iPhone 3GS. I used to I use run keeper which was free. It tracked the entire route and was very good for what it was.

I have been using Strava recently which is very similar but has an excellent bit that lets you compete against everyone else who has ridden up the same hill. I have found it very motivating to know that I have a good reason for trying to get a good time on the first / last / every hill, however slow I may have been on the rest of the route.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Strava

Strava

and . . . .

Strava

I've used others but they all do the same thing. Strava has all the segments and it makes for a much more interesting ride
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I've used Garmin, Endomondo and now Strava. Only problem with them all is battery life. On a solo ride I wouldn't use it for more than about 70 miles, just to keep enough battery for phone use. Yesterday I used it on a club ride and the battery went flat at 105 miles........7hrs use.

PP
  • Another fan of Strava here - only three rides recorded so far but it's great
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I use cyclemeter and a few of my mates do too, i've never had a problem with battery life on my iphone 4, after starting on less than 100% the battery wasn't even down to 75% after a 3hr+ ride last week.
  • How does Strava work? Do you set it at the beginning of your ride and forget it, or do you have to keep checking/have it on your handlebars to see the specific segments?

Ta
  • milleman
    milleman Posts: 181
    Just downloaded Strava, one question-when I am on a hill that someone has posted a time on, does it pick this up automatically and start recording or do I have to set it going?

Cheers
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    milleman wrote:
    Just downloaded Strava, one question-when I am on a hill that someone has posted a time on, does it pick this up automatically and start recording or do I have to set it going?

Cheers

Just ride!

When you get home you might have done some segments you didn't realise and if you've done a climb that no one else has done it will record a brand new segment with the extra bonus that you will definitely be No 1 !
  • pipipi
    Just switch strava on and go!

When you have finished the ride and uploaded it ( 10 seconds on broadband 3G ) strava does all the hard work and looks at your route. If you have ridden through any segments ( mini race ) it will compare your time against everyone else who has ridden through it!

If you do an obscure route there might not be any segments. On the website you can set up your own segments ( and strava will check if anyone else has ever done it) and it will allow you to compare your time next ride.

But just to restate. Just ride. No need to press any buttons. Just check strava when you get back home!
  • pipipi
    But you won't know until you get home whether it is an existing segment, there is no beep to alert you. And you have to do the same segment , so a different road , ie a left at the top of the the hill instead of straight on , may well mean you do a different segment. So you have to be careful afterwards.

You can always make your own up though.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    I'll be checking out Strava asap - until now I've been using Sportstracker on my Nokia - seems to be pretty good and the bluetooth HRM synchs really well. I've also liked the useless feature that shows which music track I'm listening to at what points on the route. Doing both music aand GPS + HRM will probably be too battery greedy for long rides but I've not done anything over about 90 mins so far with all those running.

Just checked - no Symbian version of Strava so that's a no-go for me.
  • Endomondo and Strava are both superb free apps, strava in particular if you are competitive as you can compare your times with others over various segments of your ride whereas endomondo will automatically post your ride to facebook etc. I use both but since installing Strava I think it's better.
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    I'm a loyal RunKeeper user... it does all I require of it and all of my data is stored in that account so switching would mean losing it all!
  • nweststeyn wrote:
    I'm a loyal RunKeeper user... it does all I require of it and all of my data is stored in that account so switching would mean losing it all!

FYI, it's possible to export and import the data between apps as .gpx files, so you could trial a different app and change over if you wanted to. Obviously it might be a bit laborious exporting/importing all the old rides one-by-one, but you'd only have to do it once...