Avid/Shimano brake compatibility

MarkHod1
MarkHod1 Posts: 21
edited February 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi I building up a 140mm full suss frame and I using a wheelset from my current bike which a 185mm avid rotor on the front. I am thinking getting Shimano SLX m666 brakes for the new bike/frame. Can I mount the shimano caliper onto the avid 185mm adaptor bracket? If not what's the best solution to get around it? Any helpful comments welcome. Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    You can do whatever you want including changing the rotors.

But yes as long as the rotor and caliper match for size then yes they generally work fine.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ok thanks, I was planning use the current rotors (the rear is 160mm) mainly to keep the cost of the build down and then upgrade them when I need to replace them.
  • You can't use an Avid 185 post to post mount adaptor with any other caliper. The 2 mounting surfaces are on a different plane and it relies on the CPS washers to take up the mismatch. It will assemble but when you tighten the bolts they will try and bend the lugs on the caliper. If your fork is IS mount, the Avid 185 IS-Post adaptor would be fine.

If your fork is Post mount and you're keeping costs down, Superstar do a 180 rotor and adaptor for £16.
  • Cool thanks might go down the superstar route. I have some of their stuff on the bike already, it looks class and seems well made.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    davewalsh wrote:
    You can't use an Avid 185 post to post mount adaptor with any other caliper. The 2 mounting surfaces are on a different plane and it relies on the CPS washers to take up the mismatch. It will assemble but when you tighten the bolts they will try and bend the lugs on the caliper. If your fork is IS mount, the Avid 185 IS-Post adaptor would be fine.

If your fork is Post mount and you're keeping costs down, Superstar do a 180 rotor and adaptor for £16.

You can but you need a 185 rotor.

The cps washers have no bearing on it as they are part of the caliper.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    You can but you need a 185 rotor.

The cps washers have no bearing on it as they are part of the caliper.
    I disagree. With the Avid adaptor, because the 2 cylinders at either end of the adaptor are different heights, a standard caliper will not sit flat across the top of the adaptor, it will only contact the very edges of the 2 cylinders. The CPS washers of an Avid caliper take out the mismatch.
  • Fellow Bikers,

I have a similar question to the original poster. I have shimano brakes post-mount with 180mm front and 160mm rear rotors. Can I use Avid HS1 rotors of appropriate sizes with these brakes? They are Shimano M395.

Thanks!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes, if they are the right size a rotor is a rotor.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • the avid 180mm and 185mm adaptors, specifically those sizes, specifically for post-post, won't work

as per davewalsh's reply, they rely on you using CPS washers, which means avid callipers only

other manuf's are perfectly ok.