Damaged Frame- Thoughts

Richie63
Richie63 Posts: 2,132
edited February 2012 in MTB general
Found this damage to the frame of my SWorks 2005 Enduro. What I would like is considered thoughts on whether its viable to keep riding on it, leave it till I can replace it or can it be repaired with a welded patch? Any other ideas welcome.
P2190444.jpg

and

P2190442.jpg
I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I would use it but get a new seat stay priced up/ordered.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I would repair that before riding it again - the box section has deformed a lot and any significant sideways force on it could cause it to fold up completely which would not only ruin your day but would also write off the frame.
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Have a word with Spesh UK.They did me a replacement for my 04 Enduro(in 2007) for £45 8)
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Echo the sourcing a replacement especially if thats the sort of money your looking at, but in the short time, I wouldnt be worrying about it.
    If your getting the amount of sideforce needed to cause that any mither, you'll have felt it first...
  • Richie63
    Cheers for the replies I'll chase it up through J E James tomorrow as they are my local dealer for Spesh and the Spesh web site say to go through the dealer network :( I'd rather go direct but Hey Ho

Let's hope the prices are reasonable and they still do the bit

Might just have to buy that SB 66 I've been thinking of :)
  • PaulC7
    PaulC7 Posts: 112
    I wouldnt ride it till fixed...

you may/will hit a bump sometime and it may bend it a bit more or you could be unlucky and have it bend/snap and stick into your rear wheel and that wount be a good time.
  • sniper68
    You'll do a lot better by dealing direct( I speak from experience with JE James).
    Phone Specialized UK direct 020 8391 3502 and ask for warranty/servicing. They've gone above and beyond expectations on 4 separate occasions for me 8)
  • Richie63
    Cheers for that, I'd got the impression that spech didn't ant to talk direct- only through dealers but I'll try tomorrow.

As it was I've got Edinburgh bike co. on to it
  • sniper68
    Yes they deal direct and it's quicker 8)
    Twice they've sorted me out when JEJ said nothing could be done :wink:
    I now only deal direct.