How easy to change a front hub ?

cpk1
cpk1 Posts: 175
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a nice set of wheels to put on my bike the back one is fine no probs, but i need to put the front on which currently has a skewer qr setup that needs to be swapped to a 20mm bolt thru hub. How easy is it remove all spokes and re-lace with the 20mm hub to enable me to use the new rim with my original bolt thru hub ? Is it sumthing i should just forget about or is it sumthing you can follow using an online guide, having only had experience truing my wheels and replacing the odd spoke here and there, also what kind of time frame would you expect it to be done in ?
Trail bike: Kona Coiler 06, Rockshox domain 318is, juicy 7s, sun rims s-type.
Commute bike: Dawes Watoga.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    You will need to unbuilt the wheel. Work out what length spokes you need and then lace them up in the correct patten. Dish it correctly and get the spoke tension correct.

So as you are asking not that easy.

A new suitable wheel would be simpler.

This is unless the hub can be converted.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cpk1
    I was hoping to use the existing spokes out of either wheel as i have two wheels fully built at the min the spoke pattern on both hubs seem to the same pcd. I mite have to remove one spoke from each wheel and compare lengths. also what is ment by `dishing`. Thanks
  • nicklouse
    And you will find that spokes are different length on each side of the wheel.

Rarely will you find the same rim on two different hubs.

And you mean ERD.

Read Sheldons pages on wheel building.

Dishing. Read Sheldons pages.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    To be honest, if you have to ask, you can't do it, I know everything involved and wheel building is the one thing I don't tackle!

A decent LBS will rebuild your wheel for £20, add on the cost of the new front hub and spokes (if needed) and that is what it will cost.

Unless you have a very good rim and some (half) or all spokes can be carried over it is usually more cost effective to buy a new wheel and sell the one you have, unless, as Nick has aksed, your current hub is one that can be converted by removing adaptors.

What hub do you currently have?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cpk1
    the hub cant be converted, really i just want the front and back wheel to match, but its looking like a better idea to buy a new one. Thanks
  • nicklouse
    sell them both and get a set that will fit then.
  • As above.

If your rim (and 20mm hub) is particularly nice, this might be worthwhile. Otherwise it just isn't cost effective, and you're better off selling the complete QR wheel, and replacing with a new wheel with a 20mm hub.

That is, unless you fancy learning to build wheels. A shop would probably take anywhere from 30mins up to about an hour to do a wheel build. A first timer, upwards of 2 or 3 hours (yes, seriously).
  • cpk1
    I do fancy having a go at building a wheel, as it is a front wheel its easier than rear, life is all about learning everyone has to start somewhere, i didnt get to be a fabrication inspector, by not asking questions.
  • nicklouse
    the front is no easier than the rear.

if you are going to have a go then dont expect to be riding your bike for a few weeks.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    cpk: the nice people at Swinnos on the Chase will give you a fair price for a rebuild or a new wheel. 01889 575170 ask for Mark or Jack
  • cpk1
    .blitz wrote:
    cpk: the nice people at Swinnos on the Chase will give you a fair price for a rebuild or a new wheel. 01889 575170 ask for Mark or Jack
    Thanks for that will have to give them a ring once my hub turns up that i have bought, should be in post very soon. :D
  • cpk1
    Built up my new wheel yesterday, hub arrived thurs, luckily only needed to buy 16 spokes as my original ones were the right size for one side. Spent around 3 hours building and truing, took it out this morning, spot on. So in answer to my own question how easy, not too bad with abit of reading and looking at video clips, it can be done to a very good standard, definatly worth doing plus saving money.
  • How much difference was there between old & new spokes? Usually its a different rim that makes the biggest change to spoke length.