Tyres - AGAIN - but just a choice of 2

tboy823
tboy823 Posts: 102
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Ok, i'm running Mountain King 2.2 on the Boardman (standard from new).

There's not much wear on them but they are proving to be quite a handful around the likes of Cwmcarn in this wet season!!

I fancy trying some Maxxis for front and rear- but which one

Maxxis Ardent Wire Tyre - Single Ply - 26 x 2.4 - 60a (815g)
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=31276

Maxxis Minion DH Front Tyre - Single Ply, 26 x 2.35 Maxxpro 60a (870g)
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=5849

any thoughts?

thanks
Boardman Team FS 2011

Never let your computer know you're in a hurry.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They weigh as much as tanks, and are overkill for a boardman! I'd be looking at 5-600g folding tyres, somethjing like this:

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a45596 ... html?lg=en

Black chili really does improve the grip, they roll fast, clear mud very quickly and are a good weight.
  • tboy823
    Thanks SS, but i think they're a little over my current budget.

Any other options please?
    Boardman Team FS 2011

• tboy823
    Hmm re-check,

the X King RS @ £39.95 or
    the X King (not RS) @ £26.95

whats the difference - or what does the RS give you?

cheers
    Boardman Team FS 2011

• supersonic
    RS is Race Sport - a light version that sits between the standand and supersonic versions.

Tyres really aren't worth skimping on, a few extra quid can mean big weight reductions and better grip with compounds.
  • tboy823
    Hmm another re-check

X King 26 x 2.2 - 580g - £26.95
    X King RS 26 x 2.2 - 490g

X King 26 x 2.4 - 640g
    X King RS 26 x 2.4 - 560g - £39.95

so its a weight to price thing as the specs/blurb looks the same.
    Boardman Team FS 2011

• tboy823
    Yep - got it - thanks again SS

Not sure if a 2.4 will fit on the back of the Boardman though as the current 2.2 is close.

So 2.2 RS's will be saved for,

or can i go 2.4 front, 2.2 rear?
    Boardman Team FS 2011

• supersonic
    Can if you want! Will get extra front end grip.
  • tony620
    tony620 Posts: 194
    if the boardmans got a reba front fork stick the the 2.2 as the 2.4 are massive i have 2 x 2.4 x king protection and there fine in my revelation forks but my dads rebas would leave about 5mm around it which means no mud clearance
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Go with the Minion, uplift at Cwmcarn so extra weight doesn't matter. I'd get super tacky 42a though not a 60.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Concorde wrote:
    Go with the Minion, uplift at Cwmcarn so extra weight doesn't matter. I'd get super tacky 42a though not a 60.
    Errr...
    It does if you're riding the XC trail rather than paying for the DH uplift.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • concorde
    bails87 wrote:
    Concorde wrote:
    Errr...

That is true, just means he will get fitter :-)
  • tboy823
    tony620 wrote:
    if the boardmans got a reba front fork stick the the 2.2 as the 2.4 are massive i have 2 x 2.4 x king protection and there fine in my revelation forks but my dads rebas would leave about 5mm around it which means no mud clearance

Thanks for that. The Boardman has Rockshox Sektor TK forks and there looks to be plenty of clearance there, its the rear end that has very limited space to go wider.
    Concorde wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    Concorde wrote:
    Errr...

That is true, just means he will get fitter :-)

Fitter would be good :D , but i don't want to get dead struggling doing the XC trail :D . No plans to do the DH run yet, need to get my tech levels up first :shock: :?
    Boardman Team FS 2011

• concorde
    Ok then perhaps you don't need the minions :-) I only use them coz it's rocky where I ride so need the big knobs in my opinion.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Concorde wrote:
    i need the big knobs in my opinion.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Don't we all
  • EH_Rob
    supersonic wrote:
    They weigh as much as tanks, and are overkill for a boardman! I'd be looking at 5-600g folding tyres, somethjing like this:

Black chili really does improve the grip, they roll fast, clear mud very quickly and are a good weight.

I just ordered one of these - good price!
  • tboy823
    yep - me too :D

X-King RaceSport 26 x 2,2" folding x 2.

way cheaper here than anywhere in the UK i could find 8)
    Boardman Team FS 2011

• I have tried loads of different tyres around CC and the local spots, and I would agree with SS get the best you can afford and (no argruements) it has to be folding.The weight saving may not look like much on paper but when it is on the outside of your wheel the difference is massive.

I use:

Dry Conditions (Very dry spells)
    Front Maxxis Advantage 2.25 Rear Maxxis Crossmark 2.1.

Wet Conditions (most of the year at least 9 months)
    Front Maxxis Advantage 2.25 Rear Maxxis Advantage 2.1

If it is really Gloopy I put on a Maxxis Medussa or lend a Nobby Nic off Gareth.

A lot of boys run Nobby Nics front and rear all year round and I no a few guys run Conti Gravity Front and rear i also enjoyed my Kenda Nevegel John Tomac STICKE tyres they gripped well but didn't roll as quickly as I like.

Hope this helps Matt
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

And it just arrived. Gotta love that Cherman efficiency.
  • I quite like the MK on the front of my Boardman (around CC).

I've got a kenda somethiingorother on the back though, as the MK died fairly quickly.
  • tboy823
    I have tried loads of different tyres around CC and the local spots, and I would agree with SS get the best you can afford and (no argruements) it has to be folding.The weight saving may not look like much on paper but when it is on the outside of your wheel the difference is massive.

I use:

If it is really Gloopy I put on a Maxxis Medussa or lend a Nobby Nic off Gareth.

A lot of boys run Nobby Nics front and rear all year round and I no a few guys run Conti Gravity Front and rear i also enjoyed my Kenda Nevegel John Tomac STICKE tyres they gripped well but didn't roll as quickly as I like.

Hope this helps Matt

Cheers Paul :D

The Mk's are ok when its not too wet and slippery, but the rear has been really dodgy the last 2 times out around CC, slipping and sliding on everything.
    EH_Rob wrote:
    EH_Rob wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Mine too , and now fitted!!!

I quite like the MK on the front of my Boardman (around CC).

I've got a kenda somethiingorother on the back though, as the MK died fairly quickly.

I agree, my front doesn't seem that bad, but the rear (as stated above) feels quite dodgy.

Anyway the X - Kings are fitted - just need to get out and try 'em now :D
    Boardman Team FS 2011

• tboy823 wrote:
    I have tried loads of different tyres around CC and the local spots, and I would agree with SS get the best you can afford and (no argruements) it has to be folding.The weight saving may not look like much on paper but when it is on the outside of your wheel the difference is massive.

I use:

Hope this helps Matt

Cheers Paul :D

The Mk's are ok when its not too wet and slippery, but the rear has been really dodgy the last 2 times out around CC, slipping and sliding on everything.
    EH_Rob wrote:
    EH_Rob wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Mine too , and now fitted!!!

I quite like the MK on the front of my Boardman (around CC).

I agree, my front doesn't seem that bad, but the rear (as stated above) feels quite dodgy.

Anyway the X - Kings are fitted - just need to get out and try 'em now :D

Let me no how you get on with them, i had conti mk and Rk on the Zesty as standard good summer rubber but its always wet around here :)
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    Let me no how you get on with them, i had conti mk and Rk on the Zesty as standard good summer rubber but its always wet around here :)

The XKing RS clear very easily, but not as good as the Rocket Rons I had on the Inbred, but they do provide a bit more traction in the mud. The rons needed a careful balance of force and cadence to stop them spinning or sliding. They also have less of a sudden 'loss' of grip when cornering fast and roll very quickly over hardpark or tarmac.

Do not beleive the gumpf on the new Race Kings about them clearing quickly. They do not.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • tboy823
    Well took the bike for a quick blast around the local reservoir on the new X-Kings and they roll MUCH quicker than the MK2's they replaced, i'm amazed at the difference to be honest. :shock: 8) :lol:

The combination of reduced weight (around 200g per tyre), different tread pattern, different profile made it a completely different ride.

I'll need to get around Cwmcarn in the wet to make a real comparison as the off road i did today wasn't enough to make a judgement.

so far so good tho' :D

cheers all
    Boardman Team FS 2011

• EH_Rob
    Good to hear you're impressed. I put one on the rear the other night and will probably be at Glentress tomorrow so I'll let you know how I get on with it.
  • X-Kings are my favourite tire at the moment, they are awesome for grip, traction, little rolling resistance and corning.. Love them, just ordered another 3.

*2.4 UST Version