Tyre pressures.

The Man Chump
The Man Chump Posts: 81
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
Hi guys,
What pressure do you keep your tyres at? The roads out my way are rubbish, so I've let the pressue down a little. just wondering?

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Worth using the search tool as this comes up, oh, about every few days :)
  • Havent seen many replies in the Beginners section?
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    This doesn't come up as often as some other stuff.

I keep mine bone hard. Don't really know why. If the gauge on my pump is any kind of reliable guide (I'm fairly certain it isn't) then I'd say around 110-115 psi.

I've a feeling it probably says on the sidewall what the recommended pressure is but can't say I've checked mine.

Hope this helps.
  • search on forums tends to be poor and frankly if this isn't the place to ask where is?

on the roadie with 23mm about 100-110 PSI

on the SS with 25mm touring/commute tyres 60-80 PSI

some people need to keep the pressues up incase of pinchflats, I've yet to do that on tarmac, only done that clattering though rockgardens at improbable speeds on the MTB.

ie there is no wrong answer try it lower or higher and see what you think.
  • I have the front at 110 and the back at 90 at present did 20 miles 3 mins quicker yesterday
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Here you go, some useful stuff here:

viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12832321&hilit=tyre+pressure
  • Have less in the front tyre, about 5-10lbs, as it does the steering and you need grip. Have more in the back tyre, it has most of the weight and needs to support you. As said above, get a track pump with a gauge (Joe Blow is good) find a happy position for you, with regard to your weight, the size of the tyre and the surfaces you ride on. It is pretty much recognized now that the 'Old Skool' "any pressure you like as long as they're nice and hard" is not the fastest arrangement, also comfort can be important if you are doing long runs. Once you have achieved the desired pressure with the track pump, give the tyres a squeeze to familiarize yourself with how they should feel at that pressure. Then, should you have to use your emergency pump you will have a notion of how much air you need to ride effectively.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Mine are 25mm tyres and I weigh 65kg. I run the front at 75-80 and the rear at 85-90psi. Any harder than that and I lose the comfort benefit of the 25's
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I run similar pressures - 90-95 rear, 80-85 front on 25mm tyres. It works really well for me.
  • 110 at front and 120 rear on 25mm but I am a fat b*****d :D
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It is also worth dropping the pressure slightly when rding in the wet to maximise grip. Most folks run the pressure too high in the mistaken belief that higher=faster when in fact the determining factor is the 'roughness' of the road and therefore above about 6 bar, there is diminishing returns - i.e. the ride justs get firmer, more uncomfortable and you're more likely to puncture.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    about 90 on the front and 95 on the back.
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    I put mine at 120 PSI.
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    Worth using the search tool as this comes up, oh, about every few days :)
    if posts werent repeated on here it would be the end of the forum . 120 every time i go out
  • Does it make a difference in the summer? I'm going to try both at 100 and see!