Hayes Nine or Juicy5?

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
I currently have Juicy5's on the MTB, however I've been offered a Hayes Nine to replace my front by a mate (he'll do sale or return, not sure how good the pads are though), is it worth trying it out?

Simon
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Nope. The 9s are th worse of the two.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    OK Nick, thanks for that, makes life easy!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Rozza
    Rozza Posts: 75
    edited February 2012
    Seconded, have had nothing but grief with Hayes brakes. My Avids and Shimano brakes have been trouble free.
    Wolf Ridge, mmm bop, XTC Composite, Uncle John
  • The Rookie
    Given the abuse Avid's get on here from some quarters, that must make the Hayes really bad!

Simon
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Can't be worse than Orange 29ers.
    To balance it out my Stroker Trails are 3 years old, never been touched, more than powerful enough for me, only thing people seem to complain about is a lack of feel. Never worried me.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Do you ever go fast enough to need brakes though CD, or are you always using them so you don't go to fast..........

Shame really as the Hayes are so much easier to bleed!

Simon
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Do you ever go fast enough to need brakes though CD, or are you always using them so you don't go to fast..........

Shame really as the Hayes are so much easier to bleed!

Simon
    Nope. I would say the Avid are way way simpler to bleed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Simon
    Mainly never go fast enough, but if I do hit a gentle downslope I drag them, otherwise it gets scary.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    nicklouse wrote:
    Nope. I would say the Avid are way way simpler to bleed.
    Surprised you say that, syringe and tube ono calliper (hanging off the rafter by the lever in the garage), 30 seconds and sorted, didn't bother catching the overflow just went slow enough to mop up any excess as it came out.....not to mention brakes that really DID need bleeding!

CD, my faith in you has been restored - cheers!

Simon