Band on vs Braze on

bartman100
bartman100 Posts: 544
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
Hi,

I have a titanium frame and need to choose a front mech - maybe a stupid question but I'm pretty sure I need a band on as there's no pre-drilled holes or hanger for a braze on. Is it possible to adapt a braze on with a clip? Reason I ask is this force g'set only comes with a braze on which is the only fly in the ointment:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-Sram-For ... 7914ee8c1c

Thanks

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,164
    you can get a force groupset, same options, better chain and including cables (ebay doesn't include them), for just a few quid extra from fudges

http://www.fudgescyclestore.com/index.php?p=88015

given the extra cost of cables and a band-on adaptor, surely fudges works out cheaper than ebay
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    you could save £450 and buy microshift.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Full 2012 SRAM Force groupset available for £680ish from Shinybikes (including cables which as Sungod says) arent included on ebay in that link. Plenty of options too - well worth the cheap upgrade on chain

http://www.shinybikes.com/Sram-Force-Groupset-2011.html
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    rake wrote:
    you could save £450 and buy microshift.

It's that price for a reason.... :wink:
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    explain more. was thinking of trying it. a lot of the reason with bike gear is branding and hooking people in. :|
  • Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. So, I still have some choices to make from the Fudges/Shiny bikes options:-

- what length cranks? why is this important when you can adjust seat height?
    - 32 or 35mm band? Is this the downtube circumference?
    - bottom bracket - I think I need and English - but what difference the ceramic?
    - what's wrong with the 1070 chain on ebay?
    - I need a compact chainset and probably no more than a 26 largest sprocket - are there any other compatibility concerns regarding chainset to sprocket ratios?

Thanks!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,164
    - what length cranks? why is this important when you can adjust seat height?

in effect, seat height determines maximum leg extension, crank length determines minimum leg extension, typically you'd go for longer cranks if you legs are long (but there's more to it than that)

see here http://www.cptips.com/crnklth.htm

- 32 or 35mm band? Is this the downtube circumference?

yep

- bottom bracket - I think I need and English - but what difference the ceramic?

ceramic bearings cost a lot more, but may be a smidge more efficient, imho get the cheaper standard bearings

- what's wrong with the 1070 chain on ebay?

nothing, but sram says the 1071 has been changed to run quieter

- I need a compact chainset and probably no more than a 26 largest sprocket - are there any other compatibility concerns regarding chainset to sprocket ratios?

nope, if you get a compact you can always fit larger rings in future if you want, imho compact with a 26 will be fine
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Your crank length is generally dependant on your height (and more importantly - leg length). I'm 5ft 10 and ride 172.5mm cranks. If you're over 6ft then probably 175mm cranks would be better. If under 5ft 8 of so then go for 170mm. As said by Sungod - the 1071 / 1091 chains are quieter due to being a developed version of the 1070/1090 etc. The 1091 is slightly lighter being a hollow pin design - plenty strong enough still so go for it for the extra £3 or so. Save your money on the BB - the standard one is fine till it wears out then get a Hope Ceramic if you really want to upgrade to ceramic. Costs the same overall as Hope Road Ceramic BB's are around £90 but the standard one should last a fair while.

English BB has a different handed threads on each side - Italian has exactly the same thread both sides.
  • Wirral_paul / Sungod - really appreciate the replies - thank you.