MTB on Eurosport?

Rozza
Rozza Posts: 75
edited March 2012 in MTB general
Just wondered if there were any? I have Tivo on the M package so only get Eurosport 1 and 2, anything doing?
Wolf Ridge, mmm bop, XTC Composite, Uncle John

Comments

• Last couple of years they have showed the odd dh world cup round. I caught 2 rounds on it last season but they seem to be sporadic. Don't know if any will be shown this season though!
  • Rozza
    Rozza Posts: 75
    Thanks for that, I'll keep checking the schedules anyway. Why is there so much table tennis, handball etc and no rough riding? I'm gonna email them and get this oversight sorted. Watch this space...
    Wolf Ridge, mmm bop, XTC Composite, Uncle John
  • You sometimes get DH covered on the sporadic Sky Sports cycle roundups, so it might be a licensing thing (ie sky have an event so eurosport cant do it in the uk).
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    There's really crap all on TV. Roads yes, but little off road. Internet has better stuff, but a some of that gets tied up with licensing restrictions too.
  • Extreme TV occasionally has some MTB stuff on:
    Sky 419 ('Entertainment plus' package)
    Virgin 527 (XL package)
    "RIDE GUIDE MOUNTAIN BIKE 2010"
    The essential mountain bikers show featuring x-country, trials and downhill action on awesome terrain across the globe.
    Airs next on Extreme:
    Saturday 25th February 2012 @ 07:40
    Saturday 25th February 2012 @ 08:05
    Saturday 25th February 2012 @ 08:30
    Saturday 25th February 2012 @ 12:00
    Saturday 25th February 2012 @ 12:30
    (Sky also show 17:00, 17:30, and 18:00 on same day, series link doesn't seem to work with it either! :evil: )

(I am guessing this is several different episodes)
    RIDE GUIDE MOUNTAIN BIKE 2009
    Airs next on Extreme:
    Wednesday 29th February 2012 @ 08:30
    Thursday 1st March 2012 @ 08:30
    Friday 2nd March 2012 @ 08:30
    Monday 5th March 2012 @ 08:30
    Tuesday 6th March 2012 @ 08:30
    Giant Trance X4 (2010)
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Must remember saturday, must remember saturday, cheers giblets :)
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Freecaster TV has in the past shown live UCI downhill on Sundays throughout the season, I dont know what they have planned for 2012
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Last I heard UCI were asking too much for the contract for 2012, so Freecaster were looking for their own series.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Freecaster ... eries.html
  • deadkenny wrote:
    Last I heard UCI were asking too much for the contract for 2012, so Freecaster were looking for their own series.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Freecaster ... eries.html

I'm fairly sure I remember reading that freecaster dropped the idea of their own series after hearing redbull were picking up the rights to broadcast the uci dh wc. Don't think redbull have confirmed this yet though!
  • Anyone else watch these on Extreme? I recorded them, only about three episodes repeated three/ four times the same morning....which muppett does their scheduling!?
    As for the programme, to much chatting and random stuff, not enough about the rides.
    Giant Trance X4 (2010)
  • cavehill
    cavehill Posts: 126
    giblets wrote:
    Anyone else watch these on Extreme? I recorded them, only about three episodes repeated three/ four times the same morning....which muppett does their scheduling!?
    As for the programme, to much chatting and random stuff, not enough about the rides.
    A lot of these are funded by the country in questions government tourism department. So they are trying to sell the location to bikers. It's better than nothing.

There was a series on quest channel a few weeks back filmed in whistler was pretty cool.
  • I used to watch UCI MTB World Cup stuff but didn't it that riveting as watching someone pedalling uphill, with an occasional rooty downhill bit just isn't that exciting. Watching the Downhill stuff had a bit more X Factor to it but those programs seem to be shown rarely.

What I'd like to see is a program involving a team of riders, armed with cameras, who visit all the UK's premier mountain bike spots in a van, visiting trail centres and 'au natural' trails in A.O.N.B, and do an informative series similar to how Julia Bradbury does all those walks up and down the country, not only would you get to see the best trails, you'd get some good info hopefully on where to stay, eat, things to see etc...

That kind of program would appeal to me far more than 'sport'.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I used to quite enjoy the XC World Cup coverage, the Marathon coverage was a bit boring though. DH and 4x was pretty good but they usually didn't do a good job of getting the speed and steepness across.
    The Ride Guide shows have always bored me though
  • cavehill
    cavehill Posts: 126
    What I'd like to see is a program involving a team of riders, armed with cameras, who visit all the UK's premier mountain bike spots in a van, visiting trail centres and 'au natural' trails in A.O.N.B, and do an informative series similar to how Julia Bradbury does all those walks up and down the country, not only would you get to see the best trails, you'd get some good info hopefully on where to stay, eat, things to see etc...

You would have to be very careful where the footage is shot. There has been a race in Ireland for 6 years the land owners where paid and insurances etc always paid up front. To promote the race and get it noticed the organisers got the Athertons involved and Red Bull came along to Sponsor and film the event. Even though the race has followed the same pattern and route every year the helicopter footage was seen by the land owners and apparently one section of it was protected land. The land owners where happy to take the money for the race but didnt want to go see where it had been taking place. Through no fault of the organisers they happened to start it on a bit of protected land and now most major events are banned because of it. So although I would love to see something like you describe it would take a lot of work and would have to be done right.