Old 7 Speed cassette replacement

nigelchee
nigelchee Posts: 5
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
Hi I've been told that my very old Dawes Competion 14 speed has a 'terminal fault'. What the dude in the bikeshop meant was that my worn chain and slipping cassette needed to be replaced BUT they don't seem to make 7 speed Shimano cassettes. He then tried to sell me new bike, which I'm actually quite tempted anyway.
Could I just buy a new chain and any type of Shimano 7 speed cassette from EBAY?

Thanks.

Comments

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    In a word, no. You need to check it is the correct type.
    If it is an early cassette, it could be uniglide. I upgraded my uniglide cassette a couple of years ago and economically it didn't make sense. I did it due to an emotional attachment to the bike.
    If you're tempted by the new bike, it does sound like the best plan.
    Have a look at Sheldon Brown for the low down on cassette types.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I expect you have a Uniglide cassette and freehub and it can be replaced with a Hyperglide freehub and cassette, plus a new chain - certainly not terminal but you're probably talking £60 for the parts, plus labour and you may as well get the rear hub serviced at the same time as that probably needs some TLC too. As previous poster states, Sheldon Brown has the low-down on his website.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • We replaced my 7 speed cassette by fitting an 8 speed but the last smallest cog was removable. We got it from Halfords. I think we spent 30 quid on the cassette and then 6 quid for the thing to remove it.
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    It could of course be a 7speed freewheel. These are still readily available.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,196
    I bought a 7 speed Hyperglide cassette a year or so back quite cheaply so I guess it depends what type of cassette you have. However, I was struggling on the hills and wanted larger sprockets and eventually found out that I could use a 10 speed cassette, take off one of the sprockets (the 11t in my case) and in conjunction with a narrow 10 speed chain I can now run a 9 speed system on my old bike (only works in friction mode though).
  • taff..
    taff.. Posts: 81
    I've recently replaced a Shimano HG 7 speed cassette due to having to buy a new back wheel and chain,

there's a bloke on ebay selling new old stock 13-26 cassettes for about £14 delivered. as already posted, have a good read of Sheldon Browns pages on cassettes and all should become clear.
  • scottarm
    scottarm Posts: 119
    Loads on ebay freewheel and chain for about 12 quid

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... +freewheel
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Certainly normal 7 speed cassettes are no problem - just got a replacement 7 speed from Spa Cycles for £15 for my Dawes - they had at least three Shimano types.
    Faster than a tent.......