Looking for decent bike sub £200 if possible

HokkaHokka
HokkaHokka Posts: 46
edited February 2012 in Commuting general
Hello,

I know my budget will be a bit of a sticking point but does anyone have any recommendations?

I will start a new job shortly and my communte will be a round trip of 10 miles per day.

The route is tarmac all the way with some slopes and a stretch which is very open and exposed to wind/rain etc.

I'm a beginner and am not keen on racer style bikes and prefer sitting in an upright position.

I don't know if it's relevant but I live near Chelmsford in Essex.

Thanks!

HH

Comments

• you are going to get a much better bike buying secondhand at this price. A decent, robust new bike is going to be at least £300, something like the Ridgeback Comet. 24 speed, double wall rims, conti tyres and an adjustable stem if you want to get really upright.
  • Thanks for the quick reply and useful advice.
    I don't mind going down the second hand route...
    I don't need to be too upright, as long as I'm not leaning forward too much (as you would on a racer)
    I am very open to suggestions/recommendations at the moment...
    One other thing that I neglected to mention is, that I'm looking for a bike that is not too taxing physically - particularly on the slopes. I don't want to arrive at the office in too much of an unkept state!
  • Thats not a lot for a passable bike, you may have to be a bit flexible. Second hand is a good call but if you want a guarantee & possibly a follow up service thrown in, you'll have to go new. If you've got a Decathlon nearby go and have a look there, the overall quality & feel surpasses the price. Halfords do entry level stuff at that price but their service dept doesn't have a good reputation or high recruitment standards.

In general you should avoid supermarkets & high street shops (argos & sports direct etc)

Understand what you're saying about sit up bike: usually know as a Hybrid: but 10 miles is a decent commute and a drop bar (road bike) would be better all round. Thinner tyres go quicker, geared for exactly what you describe & a biggy is it'll keep you much more out of the wind/air resistance & make your journey more comfortable & enjoyable -esp in crosswinds.
    99% of the time you'd be riding with your hands on the top of the bars in a quite sat up manner anyway. You can cover the brake levers and stop adequately (not emergency stop tho) from that position & popping down to the drops to change gear is dead easy. You also have the freedom of choice to change hand position down to the drops to ease hand/shoulder fatigue as well as being more aero in the wind, on the fast bits of your ride.

Also, don't forget to factor in buying a basic toolkit, spare tubes, some lights & learn how to get your tyres on & off & fix punctures when out and about.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Edinburgh bicycle co-operative have bikes around this price, simple, with attachments for racks and mudguards, a good starter bike ie not too much to spend before you really get the bug and ditch this for a full on road bike! It's only a matter of time :D

Anyway I like Edinburgh bicycles, so go take a look...

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... er-race-11
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Carerra subway Ltd edition?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... e=shopping

£199.99

It is a good bike, a mate has one.
  • Try Decathlon. I am riding a Rockrider since April last year and its serverd me well with over 1200 miles todate. They have a great friendly staff always available unlike some other places. My store at J9 M9 is one of the best!
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • Thanks for the feedback.

@ bennett_346
    Funnily enough, I logged in to ask if this was a decent bet but you had got there first!

If I do go for the Carrrera I will need to get mudguards and maybe a more comfortable seat... could get pricey, but it's definitely a possibility..

Still very open to suggestions

Thanks again everyone

HH
  • bennett_346
    HokkaHokka wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback.

@ bennett_346
    Funnily enough, I logged in to ask if this was a decent bet but you had got there first!

If I do go for the Carrrera I will need to get mudguards and maybe a more comfortable seat... could get pricey, but it's definitely a possibility..

Still very open to suggestions

Thanks again everyone

HH
    You're right about mudguards, they are definately a necessity in this country sometimes! You can get mudguards for sub £20.

I'd say the saddle on any bike is hit/miss until you get to bikes that come with Body Geometry saddles as standard and other such things, so i wouldn't choose any one bike over another based on the saddle "looking" uncomfortable :wink:
  • Anybody have an opinion on this:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/elops-3-ii-id_8166113.html

(Or would I be far better of with the Carrera?)
  • bennett_346
    HokkaHokka wrote:
    Anybody have an opinion on this:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/elops-3-ii-id_8166113.html

(Or would I be far better of with the Carrera?)
    Going off the weight alone (18kg) it looks dreadful. No specs list either as far as i could see. Not much of a money saving either as it will likely break and need things replaced fast!
  • I suspected as much!
    Thanks for the feedback!
  • I need advice if possible please?!?

How do these compare?

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... abel-bikes

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... =true&msg=

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPECIALIZED-C ... 3f13cd21c0

The used item is quite a distance from me, so I would have to factor in approx £40 for fuel...

Thanks
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Revolution Courier is a superb bike for the cash - reasonable weight and decent 8 speed gear system.
  • bennett_346
    supersonic wrote:
    The Revolution Courier is a superb bike for the cash - reasonable weight and decent 8 speed gear system.
    +1 that looks excellent for £220!
  • Be sure not to skimp on the bike. Getting the right bike can make the difference between trying it for a week and sticking at it throughout the year.

I picked up a Dawes 301 a couple of years back for £100, including rack, locks and panier. That did me proud for my commute (11 miles, 22mile round trip) though with it being second hand I did have to educate myself on how to fix it regularly, which is no bad thing.

The first time I went out on my commute the rear tyre popped and I didn't have a pump or repair kit, so make sure you factor in the essentials!
  • supersonic wrote:
    +1 that looks excellent for £220!

Funnily enough, when I saw this thread, I was going to recommend a Revolution Courier of some sort. Colleague of mine is looking at the SS at £199
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Sub £200 bikes are poor quality, and at risk of sounding patronising -10 miles on a 200 quid bike is asking for trouble. 10 miles is not to be sniffed at! :shock:

As already said you need to be looking at £300+. £300 is like the cut off for hybrids is terms of any proper use intended (like £500 for hard tail mountain bikes etc). I would really advise not to get a bike with shimano Tourney rear mech on, in my experience it is rubbish and unreliable. Tbh 10 miles is quite a way, and unless you don't want a racer/drop handle bar for medical reasons I would advise seriously consider it - it's a funny feeling at first, takes a couple days to get used to!
    Also you mentioned ''comfy saddle'' or the like...don't be deceived! A comfortable looking saddle (big, fat) is not comfortable for long! The thinner saddles are not just for hardened bums, they're better for longer distances.

Good luck! Make sure you take water/fluids on your journey and have some emergency mars bar stashed away somewhere incase you get low on sugar on the way home/to work, unlikely but if you miss a meal....wouldn't like to bonk (hit the wall).
  • bennett_346
    Sub £200 bikes are poor quality
    Bollocks.
  • Sub £200 bikes are poor quality, and at risk of sounding patronising -10 miles on a 200 quid bike is asking for trouble. 10 miles is not to be sniffed at! :shock:

As already said you need to be looking at £300+. £300 is like the cut off for hybrids is terms of any proper use intended ).

The trick is to buy a £300+ bike and pay £200 for it (secondhand, sale etc) - that's perfectly easy to do.

A 10-mile RT is reasonably modest by the standards on here (mine's at least 3x that and I'm far from the longest) so drinks and Mars Bars are probably overkill (no chance of bonking after 5 miles)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Thanks again for all the great advice!
    I'm more or less settled on the Revolution Courier Race '11 (unless someone throws a massive spanner in the works in the next 24 hours or so!)
    There are several reasons that I don't want to spend £300+ on a bike alone - the main one being that it is likely to be left locked outside for long periods of time while I work.
    One more quick question. I am 5"9ish with 30" leg measurement - taking this into consideration, would I be better of with the 18" or 20" frame?
    I visited Halfords today to look at locks etc and had a quick go (in the store) on an 18" and 20" (not a Revolution) and I'm still torn (The very limited space on the shop floor didn't help) This particular 20" model had the seat right down and so they both seemed alright.
    Thanks
    HH
  • A 10-mile RT is reasonably modest by the standards on here (mine's at least 3x that and I'm far from the longest) so drinks and Mars Bars are probably overkill (no chance of bonking after 5 miles)

RT - I though it was each way. 5 miles is not that far at all, true
  • the main one being that it is likely to be left locked outside for long periods of time while I work.

Bikes get nicked. All the time :evil: I would advise insurance (you might be covered on house insurance. AND BUY A GOOD LOCK!! :D D lock is best - cable locks are too easy to break. If we give any advise at all, it's get a good lock! It dosen't matter how good the bike is - if it's got a rubbish lock it's likely it'll go
  • Thanks guys
    Any advice on whether to go for the 18" or 20" frome? As I mentioned I am 5"9ish with 30" leg measurement.
    HH
  • You dont want the seat all the way down, so I would personally say 18.
  • the main one being that it is likely to be left locked outside for long periods of time while I work.

I don't think that quote should have been attributed to me (not that it really matters) :wink:
  • Great thanks for all the feedback!

I've just seen this: (Giant Expression DX 2011 )

http://www.ashcycles.com/site/giant-exp ... a217e278fd

Which includes the rack and mudguards making it similar in price to the: (Revolution Courier Race '11)

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... abel-bikes.

As I don't know much about bikes, which is the better bike in your opinion?

Thanks!

HH
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Courier by miles!
  • Cheers for that...it seems that for the money, I'm not going to get anything much better than the courier...

I don't think that quote should have been attributed to me (not that it really matters) :wink:

You're quite right - I should stop scanning and read the thread properly. Sorry :wink:
  • supersonic wrote:
    The Courier by miles!

+1