New Frame. Where do I begin? :)

Mark909
Mark909 Posts: 456
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Okay so I've taken advantage of some good deals that are on at the moment and bought myself a brand new frame!

I'm planning on swapping over as many component parts from my current bike as possible.

I really want to learn bike mechanics and want to try to do as much of the build as possible myself.

However I'm not really sure where to begin! Can anyone point me in the right direction of any books or websites that will help me out?

Which parts of a build are relatively easy to do that I'll be able to do myself and which are the bits that are only possible with special tools and/or have a good chance of me messing it up that I should pay a bike shop to do?

Thanks for any help and I'll hopefully keep updated my build in the 'you mountain bikes' section!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Parktools website has pretty much everything you'll need.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Plenty of vids on Youtube as well.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • For books:
    Zinn and The Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance.
    And I believe Park Tools do a decent book as well.

On the web:
    Park Tools
    Sheldon Brown
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I would not bother with Zinn.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:

Any reason?
  • Mark909
    Thanks guys park tools it it then!

Does anyone have any advice on protecting the frame?

After putting the decals on im planning on getting it laquered and then wrapping helicopter tape around it.

Can anyone recommend a good supplier of helitape and whats the best way to go about doing this?
  • nicklouse wrote:

Any reason?
    I find it is good for the basics and general working, but my copy is from 2004, and so most of the detail is obsolete. Pages and pages of breakdowns of shifters and forks that you will never see. Internet is a lot more useful for specific components.
  • cooldad
    Mark909 wrote:

After putting the decals on im planning on getting it laquered and then wrapping helicopter tape around it.

Can anyone recommend a good supplier of helitape and whats the best way to go about doing this?
    Plenty on Ebay, but it is a mountain bike, it's supposed to be covered in mud.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Mark909 wrote:

Plenty on Ebay, but it is a mountain bike, it's supposed to be covered in mud.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160654597544? ... 1438.l2649
    I used this. 1m strip is plenty to cover areas where cables are going to rub. I wouldn't bother trying to protect the whole frame, as cooldad says. It's for getting dirty! :wink:
  • Mark909
    Thanks special eyes ill check it out on ebay.

Im not sure about this assumption that I want the helicopter tape to stop my frame from getting dirty? I'm wanting to protect my frame against damage such as cable rub and chips etc. My current frame is a bit of a mess especially the chain stay where i didnt use a protector so I am wanting to make sure that my new frame is kept in tip top condition!! :D
  • cooldad
    So get a chainstay protector (or old inner tube) and put bits on where cables will rub. Sticky taping up a whole frame just seems silly, IMHO of course.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools