Avid elixir 5 brake doesn't work on new bike??

puto
puto Posts: 11
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I just received a brand new Kona from CRC and it appears the Avid elixir 5 rear brake doesn't actually stop the wheel. I can pull the brake lever all the way back to the steering handle and hear the brake pads only just touching. Problem is I ilve in Sweden so can't just' pop' back to the shop. Any ideas, I wander if the rear cable needs bleeding............ already??
The front works fine. Unlike cable I can't just tighten it.

many thanks.
Puto

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Adjust the reach of the lever.

Pump the brakes to set the pads.

All normal set up things that should be/been done.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    They're Avids :wink:
    Seriously though:-
    1. Take of the wheel and use something flat to push the Pistons/pads back,taking care not to damage the pad compound.
    2. Replace the wheel and pump the brake lever a few times.
    3.Adjust the lever reach

If this doesn't feel better then pump the lever then tie the lever back to the bars(elastic band/cable-tie etc) overnight.If the brake feels better next morning but then fades it's air in the system and they will need a bleed :roll:
    You may,after step 1&2,need to centre the Calliper,if the brake rubs.If so the un-do the 2 calliper bolts,pull the lever and re-tighten.It's a crude but effective way of aligning the Calliper 8)

Also check around the Calliper/Lever for fluid just to make sure there are no leaks.