Conti GP 4 seasons and glass

Omar Little
Omar Little Posts: 2,010
edited February 2012 in Road buying advice
In terms of ride i have quite liked the feel of 4 seasons this winter as it is probably the best tyre i've had for the wet.

However i seem to be getting quite a few punctures from glass in a way i havent had with other tyres (even less puncture protected ones). Other than glass they seem to stand up well against other road debris, thorns, pinch flats etc.

Just wondering if i've just been having one of those unlucky runs or if anyone else has had problems with the 4 seasons and glass?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    GP4Seasons are one of the few tyres I've not punctured - we have razor-like flints in these parts that work their way through the toughest of tyres
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,435
    i use different tyres, but wet roads and glass are generally bad for punctures, the water seems to lubricate the smooth shards so that they can penetrate the tyre far more easily

thorns etc. are rougher so i'd imagine there's less of this effect

most of my punctures are from glass on wet days
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    just check the original glass shards are not still stuck in the tyre. If you have bits stuck in there they can work their way though over time and puncture the tube. You may have run over some bad glass in the past and some of it is still in the tyre.

I love my GP4Seasons, and I'm not a massive fan of Contis on the whole.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Dadmo
    Dadmo Posts: 61
    I've been using GP4Seasons this winter - like Monty I'm in flint-strewn territory, but haven't had a single puncture so far.
  • I didnt get on with them very well when I used to commute through sarf London...many punctures whilst making small talk with hooded yoot's inquiring about the worth of my bike. I pointed this out to the staff at Condor who sold me them and they helpfully advised "don't cycle through glass then". I resorted to using Armadillos (which were a necessary evil), but are not a pleasant tyre to ride on.

Been living in East Scotland for 7 years training/commuting on GP 4 Seasons and have had about 2 punctures in that time.

I now need to make a sacrifice to the mighty puncture god.
    Never mistake motion for action
    Tweet@gmunrop69
    Trainerroad - GMan69
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    3 years on my 4 Seasons and only one penetrating wound; a thorn like a javelin point. Mind you, I've pinch flatted twice; both times hitting potholes in the dark when I couldn't be bothered to pump the tyres up before going out :oops:
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Another puncture yesterday. Soon as it is wet glass becomes a problem

Doing all the usual stuff i've done in the past with other tyres too - same roads, checking that there is no debris embedded between rides, avoiding glass, keeping the pressure up etc. Guess its just bad luck if everyone else gets on well with them!
  • I've had a 25mm front and 28mm rear on since early november, and have found them quite pleasant to ride, no visits from the fairy yet (knocking furiously on my faux wooden desk).

I also commute accross the bandlands that are 'sarf landen' and usually give the yoofs seriously evil looks if they care to cast a unemployed eye over my bike.
    Trek 1.1c (2012) - For commuting
    Trek Madone 5.5c (2010) - For pleasure http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o62 ... G_0413.jpg