Which front and rear mech?

bobgfish
bobgfish Posts: 545
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello

Running an older bike with 9 speed XT and XTR mix. It is from about the year 2000. It has the old style gear changes of push to change down the gears and pull to move up (down the cassette). I run a std triple 44/32/22 with a std 11-32 cassette

The rear and front mechs are a bit tired and I'd like to replace. Can someone point me in the right direction of which models?

The front is a bottem pull 34.9 and is for a triple. Does this eqaute to a FD-M781

The rear I think I need a RD-M971 in long?

Someone please confirm. So many models and this shadow and dynashift and various other terms mean nothing.
Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Except perhaps in weight, new SLX is probably easily a match. Standard XT at the most. Dynashift is 10 speed and not 9 speed compatible. XTR is silly expensive.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Bit confused by the post - are you saying you have a reverse mech? Put another way, when you take the cable off the rear mech would it sit on t he top (biggest) ring at the back or the smallest?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • bobgfish
    benpinnick wrote:
    Bit confused by the post - are you saying you have a reverse mech? Put another way, when you take the cable off the rear mech would it sit on t he top (biggest) ring at the back or the smallest?

No. With no cable tension it goes to the smallest cog.

The piece I'm missing is matching the fuctionality to the correct models numbers.
    SLX... Standard XT.... XTR is silly expensive.

It's no big deal. Pay what your willing to pay. XTR rear mechs of older models are only 80 euro. and an XT front only 30...For me this is acceptable. The other models are not that much cheaper.
  • benpinnick
    IN that case then, any mech of any type rr. I suggest XT Shadow. On the front, if you get a universal band ) as size matters, again I recommend XT. M 770 or 771 on front should work. I would go nine not 10 as the cage is slightly wider I believe, although both work (apparently). On the back, the 971 is fine, but if your after XTR I would get the 972 (shadow variety).
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • bobgfish
    Whats so good about the Shadow versions?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nothing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    They're lighter and have better cable routing. They're designed to be lower profile so they're not as exposed, but general longevity seems worse than the older ones if anything.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I replaced my shadow with a standard XT. Shadow felt wobbly quickly and seemed harder to index, but that might be imagination.
    I did manage to destroy the Shadow by crashing though, not wearing it out.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Mine (SLX Shadow) wobbled a fair bit and was tough to index, though think it had got worn out after a few years.

X9 and X0 now on my two bikes, doddle to set up and index, solid definite shifting. No wobbling. But they're fairly new, so how they'll be a year or two from now I don't know (and I don't fancy crashing and busting the X0 given the price of them!).
  • bobgfish
    Sounds like the shadow is not the best option then. If only I could still buy an RD M952. 12 years on and it still works but getting a bit worn. New jockey wheels will only make it last so long.

Sound like I will get a RD-M771 or RD-M971 rear and a FD-M771 for the front.

Will my old shifters work OK or after 10 years or is it time for some new SL-M770 changers?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    they will work.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • benpinnick
    Just to give a different view - Ive had shadow since 2009 and I have found it to be 100% reliable, easy to set up, and much improved cable routing. It also looks much nicer too.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.