What Full Suspension £1500 to £2300

rick.adamski
rick.adamski Posts: 3
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
I am looking at upgrading from my hardtail and have a max budget of £2300 to buy a full suspension. I have short listed a few bikes.

1. Lapierre Zesty 314 2012 - Tested around the block.
2. Trek Fuel Ex 8 2012 - Tested around the block
3. Scott Genius 50 2012

I found both the Lapierre and Trek to be slightly compact compared to my Rockhopper hardtail. I was quite impressed with both bikes and found it hard to pick a winner. I did find the stem and the handlebars on the Trek not great and would like to replace these.

Any advice on any other contenders along these lines or which of these bikes would you recommend? I am looking for a bike for trails where I can thrash it and also for commuting.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Full sus are generally a bit rubbish for commuting - how long is it?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • booyaka
    booyaka Posts: 263
    Spend £2000 or so on a good full susser and £3/400 on a commuting bike would be my advice.

Commuting on a £2k FS bike - you need to consider where your leaving your bike, locks, wear and tear on parts etc.

On my opinion mind you
  • Thanks.

I have a Specialized Rockhopper which I have Nimbus Slicks already. I will use this as my main commuter bike as I do a 15 mile round trip 3 to 4 times a week. Depends if the car beckons.

I am just finding hard as I have picked the Trek and Zesty mainly from reviews and specs. There are so many bikes out there and I know everyone had a different opinion. £2300 is alot of money for me and if I make a mistake I will have to live with it for a number of years. I also want to be able to upgrade in yeras to come rather than buy a whole new bike. I have already been bleeding the wifes ears for the last 6 months and she has just caved in.

Cheers, Rick.
  • Totally agree with boolaka big mistake using a FS for commuting road wash and general wear and tear your gonna ruin it quickly
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • Rozza
    Rozza Posts: 75
    I'd get a 29er, or an Orange 5. The 29er will roll over pot holes with more grace and efficiency, the Orange has bomb proof long term reliability.
    Wolf Ridge, mmm bop, XTC Composite, Uncle John
  • Rozza wrote:
    I'd get a 29er, or an Orange 5. The 29er will roll over pot holes with more grace and efficiency, the Orange has bomb proof long term reliability.

Actual LOL!

popcorn_gif_by_zombiejosette.gif
  • 2low
    2low Posts: 22
    A 2011 BMC speedfox SF02 for £1500 (reduced from £2300) in the Evans sale.
  • tboy823
    tboy823 Posts: 102
    I can't answer your question directly - but as no-one else has either, i'll chuck my 2p worth in.

I have mates who own the top 2 bikes on your list and they both love 'em, both are great bikes for the off-road stuff you need to do (forget about the commute thing!!), they are both light and the guys seem to fly up and down the places they go (but they are mega fit!!).

So i guess its down to personal choice - especially as you've tried them both.
    Boardman Team FS 2011

Never let your computer know you're in a hurry.
  • I think I`d just buy a Canyon Nerve XC7 and pocket the change! :lol:
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Cube Stereo..............simples!
    If you don't fall off you're not trying hard enough!
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Ghost AMR 7500

Best spec in the price range by far.... full XT groupset.

I've just ordered one :D
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • +1 for the Ghost awesome bike for the money
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Stu Coops wrote:
    +1 for the Ghost awesome bike for the money

Yep, German engineering at its best...

I was a bit like to OP..

It was between the AMR, Zesty and a Giant..

The AMR just pipped the zesty as both were really nice.. And wasn't interested in the giant.. Just looked a bit... Dunno, just didn't tickle my fancy... LoL
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838