waterproof clothing

chuffa
chuffa Posts: 25
edited February 2012 in Commuting general
Hi all,can anyone advise me on a waterproof jacket and trouser set which will actually stop water ingress but lets your body breathe.There are lots of companys who say their products work but then get slated in reviews.
I commute everyday and get the full force of wind and rain when in the open on the hill tops so we are not talking light showers :?:
Please advise cheers

Comments

• I have a pair of Altura Attack waterproof trousers and they seem to do the job quite nicely so far. Everyone I have spoken to about them has said that they have kept them dry in horrid conditions. They aren't cheap though; I got mine with discount and in the sale at £63.99 or something from Evans.

I have recently bought an Altura Night Vision Evo jacket (also in the sale - £72.99 down from £99.99 or something, also Evans) and whilst injury has stopped me from testing it yet, it is waterproofed to 10,000mm and breathable to 10,000g/m2/24hr. There are lots of nice touches in both items of clothing that suggest it will go the distance.

There may be cheaper options out there but I struggled to find them. Many of the waterproofs I found were either too low a water resistance rating (2-5,000mm) or lacked the technical features such as pit and rear vents that are useful when cycling.

Hope this helps.
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    The only practical solution in my opinion for energetic cyclists is something like the Endura Windchill. Water and windproof fabric on the front, and regular roubaix lycra on the back. No-one believes me so I have almost given up trying to tell people, but if you have a rear mudguard, even in absolutely torrential rain, your back doesn't get wet unless you are riding more than about 3 or 4 hours in the rain, ITS TRUE!!. I wear the Windchill from November to MAY, on all of my 15 mile each way commutes and I stay dry on every single one of them.

Don't even think about waterproof trousers, just roubaix tights that will keep you warm enough even if they get wet. If they are tight, then water will tend to run off, and you can get wind-tex fronted ones which are more or less waterproof on the front which, again, is all you need. And keep you feet warm, and hands warm, and head warm and if you get wet it really doesn't matter.

If you are wearing regular clothes and trying to arrive at work dry, then more fool you!
  • chuffa
    chuffa Posts: 25
    cheers guys thanks for the advice,iam not an energetic rider,well not after a days work,so the speeds i go at especially on the hills coming home make the need for waterproofs critical.
    I,ve seen some good reviews for altera so i may go for them,but will have to see what colours they do not struck on the bright dayglow look.
    cheers :lol:
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I did a (quite favourable) review of the Gore Fusion jacket on my website

For what it's worth, here's the link:
    http://my-bicycle-and-i.co.uk/2012/chas ... aterproof/
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    For rainpants, I like Montane Atomic DT
    My winter jacket is a Paramo multi-activity. It is too warm for racer style riders but fine for Just Riding Along below about 16C (for me)
    Vaude do a waterproof with fully vented back as well as pit zips.