Presta Pressure gauge

JimboM
JimboM Posts: 380
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Can anyone recommend a pressure gauge that works well with Presta valves, just looking for something I can quickly use to check pressures at the start of the day or if I get a puncture. My mini pump hasn't got a gauge on it and I don't really want to lug my Joe Blow track pump around in my backpack :)

Seen the Topeak smarthead but that gets mixed reviews so is there anything better out there - not fussed if it's digital or dial but vaguely accurate would be good even better if it can be used on Schrader valves too!

Thanks

Jim
Cannondale Synapse 105
Giant FCR3
GT Avalanche 3.0
Canyon Nerve AM 6.0

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Everytime you use a gauge, you will lose a bit of air - might be best getting a pump with one on!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or check it at home, and use the thumb test if you have a puncture - how often does this happen anyway?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • i use the topeak smarthead d2.

pretty good and seems accurate. the air release function is good aswell.

the only other guages id read good things about were the Oxford DigiGuage and SKS Airchecker
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    cooldad wrote:
    Or check it at home, and use the thumb test if you have a puncture - how often does this happen anyway?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This 8)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Thumb Guage.

But, failing that, the Edinburgh Bike Coop (Revolution) one seems reasonably accurate and isn't too expensive. If you're looking at a digital one make sure it has a reset button- I had a really irritating one (Weldtite?) which held the pressure in memory for a minute, so you couldn't check, then let out some air, then check again til it had reset. Grr.

Lastly, you could go with a pump with a gauge, like the Truflo Evolution +. But the gauges on these tend to be pretty inaccurate.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    get a track pump with a gauge...

How often do you need to check your pressures while your out? lol
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    get a screw on Presta to Schrader adaptor.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    ibbo68 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This 8)

+1

People worry about the most pointless things. If it feels too hard while riding let some air out, too soft put some more in. It's not like tyre pressures are an exact science anyway.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I have a http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=8504 which works well but can't say I bother with it that often as mostly rely on track-pump gauge. You only lose a fraction of a psi with it though so useful if you really want to experiment with specific psi's, I can barely tell the difference to the nearest 10psi myself though :p