Lake cx401 3 hole with speedplay compatibility

lef
lef Posts: 728
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
I've just had some Lake CX401 in a wide fitting but I've just found out speedplay state they are not compatible with their pedals.

I had to go with 3 hole as the speedplay specific ones dont come in wide fitting which I definitely need.

Just wondered if anyone is using the 3 hole lake CX401 with speedplay pedals and if so which shims / base plates are you using?

Thanks.

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Here's a quote from a review of the showe on Wiggle:
    "This is my second pair of these... the 2009s I have are still in perfect shape... just wanted a backup. Best shoes I ever used... great support, ventilation, rugged, stiff, easy to adjust, speedplay… just perfect for me without the insole."
    Not sure why you should think they're not going to be compatible, the SPeedplays come with a conversion plate from 3 hole to 4 hole! I use Speedplays with my Sidi Ergos, which are a three hole sole plate.
    You should find all you need in the Speedplay box.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,164
    speedplay's website does say they are incompatible, can't see why though

i'm sure you'd be able to fit the cleats ok with the supplied shims
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    as per sungod's comments it's speedplay who say they aren't compatible, as opposed to it being my thoughts. The sole is formed in a way which means even with the shims its not that great a fit, (saying that though they werent a great fit on a pair of bonts as some twisting on the base plate too). Having said that I've got them on and the base plate is only slightly twisted at one corner (with a shim, two would be too many) but it's engaging and disengaging fine.

If anyone else has had similar issues with the 3 hole CX401's and speedplay would be keen to hear which combination of shims etc were used.