maxxis minion 2.35

leevil knievil
leevil knievil Posts: 162
edited February 2012 in MTB general
Just fitted a minion 2.35 to the front and a ardent 2.25 to the rear but the minion looks smaller in width than the ardent is this because of the different style of tread pattern or is it actually narrower. And would it be better with a wider profile tyre on the front than the back or does it make no odds, thanks.
work hard, play hard, fall hard

cube stereo 2010

Felt Z95 2013

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    2.35 Maxxis tyre's are well undersized as it is the old carcass. The 2.25 is the newer carcass which is either too big or spot on, can't remember which.

I wouldn't worry about which tyre is bigger on the front or back, just use the grippier one on the front. Try them both on the front if you are unsure.
  • I have that exact combo and the Minion is definately smaller than the Ardent. Although it is smaller, it does provide more grip so IMO you're better off with the Minion on the front.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    2.35 Minions are proof that DH treads don't work on XC carcasses. All the disadvantages and none of the advantages. The 2.5 Minion is a different animal

2.25 Ardents look tall because they have relatively shallow tread. They are actually a pretty standard 2.25 but still bigger than a 2.35 Minion.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    2.4 Advantage is bigger than the 2.5 Highroller too. (and my 2.7 HR measures almost bang on 2.5, on a 721).

Tyres: measured by a blind man with a rubber ruler, on a galloping horse.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    Northwind wrote:
    2.4 Advantage is bigger than the 2.5 Highroller too. (and my 2.7 HR measures almost bang on 2.5, on a 721).

Tyres: measured by a blind man with a rubber ruler, on a galloping horse.

The 2.4 Advantage/Ardent is actually about the same size as the 2.7 tyres, it's kind of trippy having bigger XC tyres than DH tyres :lol:
  • Northwind
    My foldy maxxpro advantage is smaller than my 2.7... Just a wee bit under the claimed 2.4, on a DT540.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    Well my foldy maxxpro advantage look to be similar size to my 2.7 Minion on a Superstar DH rim and 729. Plus the 2.4 Ardent on an MTX 33 rim is the same. That's just by eye though and we both know what my eyes are like....
  • Northwind
    Is there any way I can get out of this thread without admitting to having measured all my tyres with digital calipers, do you think?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The minion 2.35 just looks too narrow for AM use it does look more XC, it looks lie it would cut through mud quite well, obviously won't know until I try it out, it is nowhere near as wide as my alberts or mountain kings I had, just wish the LBS would of advised me better when I was purchasing them, like northwind says why state 2.35 when it clearly isn't. Didn't think I would have to start measuring tyre widths on buying, digital calipers mmm may have too see if we have any at work :D
    work hard, play hard, fall hard

cube stereo 2010

Felt Z95 2013
  • peter413
    Northwind wrote:
    Is there any way I can get out of this thread without admitting to having measured all my tyres with digital calipers, do you think?

Yes there is...

or at least there was but you have now written conclusive proof that you have :lol:
  • Northwind
    I've got a spreadsheet and everything. Chicks dig spreadsheets.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Northwind wrote:
    Is there any way I can get out of this thread without admitting to having measured my obvious with a micrometer, do you think?
    FTFY
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Northwind
    And like a maxxis, it came up smaller than claimed :(
    Uncompromising extremist
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Northwind wrote:
    I've got a spreadsheet and everything. Chicks dig spreadsheets.

About the size of your Rubbers?

hmmmm, you need help.

:lol:
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2