OT: Calling mechanics/engineers; I'm struggling with my tool

davis
davis Posts: 2,506
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
fnar!

I've got mostly 3/8" drive ratchets/torque wrenches, but quite a few times have needed to use 1/2" drive sockets for which I don't have a compatible torque wrench.
There are adapters available, like Britool E117366B and Britool E117262B, but I'm slightly nervy of using them at around 60 Nm (can't remember now) while lying on my back under a car.
There's a set of converters on Amazon but there's no way I'd buy that set from the reviews.

So... are they any good or are they a false economy? I've never heard of Brittool and I'm leary of buying cheap and twice. I 'spose I could just fork out for yet another torque wrench...

Also, can anyone name a tool that looks a bit like a 6-side (hex) spanner/wrench thingy with a spring-loaded bar across one of the faces? I saw one being used once that tightened up on the bolt as it was being used -- very good for undoing rounded bolts, apparently.

Tools. Fnar.
Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,771
    Britool is not cheap. Traditional old English manufacturer. I love some of my old Britool stuff, nearly as much as I love my King Dick.
  • Yup - Britool is good stuff.

Don't know the tool to which you refer exactly but there are a number of tools that perform a similar function
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • davis
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Britool is not cheap. Traditional old English manufacturer. I love some of my old Britool stuff, nearly as much as I love my King Dick.

So, in your opinion, if it's made by Brittool it's very likely to be quality and up to the job, right?

p.s. Doublefnar.
  • Britool is good
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • davis
    Lovely. Thanks gents, ordered the Britool adapters.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Sorry to jump in late. Don't buy an adaptor,buy a half inch hatchet of the best quality you can afford. Somewhere down the line you'll need to use the bigger stuff and running heavy torque through a smaller ratchet will kill them in time.

tools are like wives, get the right one 'cos you have to live with them for a long time and a bad one wrecks your life.

(and it's a really bad idea to lend them)
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • SimonAH wrote:
    Sorry to jump in late. Don't buy an adaptor,buy a half inch hatchet of the best quality you can afford. Somewhere down the line you'll need to use the bigger stuff and running heavy torque through a smaller ratchet will kill them in time.

Just to be clear - my understanding is that it's just for use with a torque wrench. If it's within the range of the torque wrench, it's not going to harm it.
  • davis
    Yarp, thanks though Simon. I won't be using it for high-torque applications, it's just that both my torque wrenches are 3/8" drive. I do have a 1/2" ratchet for some of the bigger stuff, just can't justify a new torque wrench for the very odd occasion.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Use Snap On tools myself. Can't beat a bit of quality :D
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • veronese68
    Britool is just as good as Snap On, and British, not septic.
  • NGale
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Britool is just as good as Snap On, and British, not septic.

Only use Snap On tools in this household, mostly because of the discount but also because it's the tools of choice from when I worked in admin for a mechanics garage years ago
  • veronese68
    Snap On is VERY good quality, it has very good distribution through garages in the motor trade. A van turns up, the grease monkeys get to handle shiny tools andthen can buy it with favourable credit terms. It's VERY good quality, far better than most people will ever need.
    Britool was just as good, it didn't get marketed in the same way. It's barely even heard of now, great shame.
    They are both far better than will ever be needed by a bloke tinkering with his bike.
    Also Simon is right, a step up adaptor is not a good idea if you are going to be putting a lot of torque through the socket. But for a one off usage of 60nm I don't think it will be a problem.
  • NGale
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Snap On is VERY good quality, it has very good distribution through garages in the motor trade. A van turns up, the grease monkeys get to handle shiny tools andthen can buy it with favourable credit terms. It's VERY good quality, far better than most people will ever need.
    Britool was just as good, it didn't get marketed in the same way. It's barely even heard of now, great shame.
    They are both far better than will ever be needed by a bloke tinkering with his bike.
    Also Simon is right, a step up adaptor is not a good idea if you are going to be putting a lot of torque through the socket. But for a one off usage of 60nm I don't think it will be a problem.

Seeing as Jake is an engineer for a living he will use his tools for his boat, car, land rover bike...everything. But yes Snap On tools are a little excessive for your average DIYer. My dad still swears by the tools given to him by my great grandfather who died when I was 6 and who retired from being a master carpenter in the 1960s!
  • SimonAH wrote:
    Tools are like wives, get the right one 'cos you have to live with them for a long time and a bad one wrecks your life.

(and it's a really bad idea to lend them)

Ha, ha, ha....

Plus One!

:-D