Foot pain with cleats on one foot - any advice please?

Thebigbee
Thebigbee Posts: 570
edited February 2012 in Commuting general
Hi - as the title really - have been using cleats for about 6 months - great invention - unfortunately I suffer from foot pain sometimes only on the right foot?!

I ensured they were both at the same place on the shoe. It is kind of an arch pain in the foot - any ideas or advice which way I should be moving the cleat or what else I can do to eradicate this pain?

I suspect I have one leg longer than the other.

Any helpful advice received with thanks.

Cheers

Comments

• I had pain in one foot too. started off with both cleats line up equally then the pain started in one foot. Kept adjusting the one foot until its a thing of the past and that was last year.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • move the cleat to the ball of your foot and try loosening the straps a LITTLE bit to see if it because one foot may be bigger thus not fit as well, try an inner sole that has some padding and finally cut some inner tube up and place it under the innersole over the cleat plate if it has one to stop the hard metal pushing through
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!
  • Ngalbrai
    Ngalbrai Posts: 279
    Do you only get discomfort on the bike?

Do you have flat feet?

What sort of shoes do you have?

Reason I ask is that my feet are terrible and I wear orthotics all the time - make a massive difference, had the soles of my bike shoes built up slightly too to offer some more arch support. Extreme end of things but if you consistently get pain after trying readjustments then maybe go see a podiatrist.

Also I ask re shoes as I originally had MTB shoes, fairly rigid but I still got foot pain, converted to road bike hard shoes with look pedals that have a broad pedal area, shoes and are completely rigid, MUCH more comfortable for my ridiculous feet.

All that said its probably just that your straps are a bit too tight...
  • I get that, coincidentally just on the right foot too, not only with SPDs but toe clips too. I don't get it with my flat pedalled winter commuter so I'm assuming it's because my right foot doesn't naturally want to point forward and being forced to do so causes the arch to ache..

My commute's only 7 miles and it starts aching after about 5 so I'm just putting up with it at the mo.
  • Have you tried increasing the float on the pedal it sounds a lot like your foot is not able to move at all and has pressure on the same place all the time
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!