Rear brake rubbing and lever tight after transport

TommyEss
TommyEss Posts: 1,855
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Afternoon,

I've just had my shipping back from Australia, including my Giant Trance X2 with Avid Elixir 5 brakes. I shipped it with minimal stripping down - front wheel out with a spacer for the pads, bars and seat post out, but the rear wheel left in place.

On putting her back together yesterday, the front wheel has slotted straight in and the brake works normally, the rear however has quite bad rub on the disc - initially you could barely manage one full turn. I loosened off the bolts and re-set it, but it's still very bad. Then I noticed that the lever is very very hard - you can hardly pull it back at all there's so much resistance. I also think there's a slight squelchy noise at the lever too, but it might be my mind playing tricks on me - I can't find any fluid coming out at any rate.

It's at complete odds with the front, and the bike was in fine working order when I packed her up - it's not very old, hasn't done many rides yet, so it's not wear or anything like that - but something seems to have happened during shipping, and I'm not quite sure what.

So, can anyone help diagnose the problem from the symptoms described, does it sound like something I can sort out myself, or should I just get her up to my LBS and let them take a look?

Much obliged,

Tom
Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...

Comments

• 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    Can you space the pads apart, or push the pistons home? Try that, it will reset the caliper. Then reinstall the wheel and squeeze the lever a few times.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • TommyEss
    Hmm - doesn't seem to have made much difference. In fact, I couldn't really get the spacer in there at all - very very tight.

Here's a pic of the caliper with the pads out - I compared it against the front and can't really see any difference, so am now pretty stumped. Are the pistons all the way back in? I certainly can't seem to push anything back in any further.

rear%2520caliper.JPG
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • TommyEss
    So... Any more thoughts...?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Looks like they need to go back more the not getting the spacer in there is a bit of a clue.

Been poorly bled with out the spacer? Will be over filled with fluid.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • TommyEss
    Haven't been bled and they were working fine before I packed it for shipping, i.e. there wasn't too much fluid, and no more could have got in!

The bike's not had heaps of miles on it, but has just spent around 3 months in a box on a boat from Australia. Packed up with rear wheel in place - I thought to avoid any brake issues!! Front was fine - that travelled with the wheel out and a spacer in. Is there anything that could have happened in a box that would cause this?

Is it perhaps better to take them to the LBS to take a look at? Avid bleed kit plus fluid is about as much as they'll charge to sort it.
  • nicklouse
    Yes 3 months of vibration.

Get the pistons fully pressed home and reset them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • TommyEss
    Cheers Nick - I'll have another fiddle and report back. I think I was a bit scared of damaging the pistons, so I'll find something that's wide and not sharp to try and get them in a bit further.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I put an old set of pads in and use a big screwdriver to push the pistons back. Easier with a smaller gap and less chance of damaging the pistons.
    If you have no old ones just use the pads you have - £5 for new Superstars is cheaper than damaging the pistons, and if you are careful the pads will be fine.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    If using the new pads press on the backing.