Saddlebags

msmancunia
msmancunia Posts: 1,415
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
No, not my thighs, but a proper saddlebag.

I'm going on a cycling holiday to Morocco in April and hiring a bike off the tour operator - either a Specialized Rockhopper, or a Trek 4900 Disc. We'll be doing around 45miles per day and a support vehicle will carry all our luggage. It's going to be quite hot so I don't really want to wear a daysack, so can anyone recommend one of those wedge shaped saddlebags that could fit a SLR camera? If it also fits on to the back of my roadbike so much the better.
Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity

Comments

• I wouldn't put a camera into the saddle bag - unless I wanted to destroy it in 2 minutes. Seriously, the shocks and vibrations in the saddle bag are huge! I've got one of the Topeak ones to carry tools and inner tube and even when cycling only on roads the long threaded bolt-thing from a chain extractor (on my multi-tool) unscrews itself (and it's like 30mm of thread...) completely.

Consider handlebars bag. The one made by Topeak looks nice and I think it's enough protective to hide the SLR in it. But nothing will beat a rucksack for that purpose - it's just the safest method.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    If the state of my lunch is anything to go by, a saddle bag and DSLR won't mix.

Out of curiosity, do you have any links to the trip/operator, thinking of heading that way myself..
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    I have a deuter rucksack with a mesh bit against my back that holds the rucksack well away from my back and allows airflow across it which seems to help with sweaty back syndrome in the summer. You have benefit of a water bladder too if you choose.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Thanks for the advice - I never even thought about vibration and stuff. I'll look into the handlbar ones, and I've got a Northface mesh day sack that I picked up in Nepal a few years ago so might try it out on my commute. Not that the weather here at the moment is remotely comparable to Morocco....

iPete - this is the one I'm on, and they also do an Atlas descent. Went for the South Morocco one as I just wanted a bit of beach time (only a day). Have travelled with them before and they were great, but never done a cycling one before. http://www.exodus.co.uk/holidays/mmi/overview
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    @ merkin - I'll have to check out Deuter as I have sweaty back syndrome year round :-).
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Cafewanda wrote:
    @ merkin - I'll have to check out Deuter as I have sweaty back syndrome year round :-).
    I have the Deuter Race but it'd be marginally too small for you to fit into. You probably want at least a 14L pack if someone needs to carry you about for the day CW.

(The Deuter packs are pretty good at keeping a cool back)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    When are you moving from Balham? I am willing to give up a weekend to help you pack :P