Advice on a new bike after theft...

JulesRules
JulesRules Posts: 8
edited February 2012 in Women
Hi All,

I am a newbie to the forum but hope you may all be able to help...

Similar to Barbs thread ref HT or FS... but I am in the same dilemma after my stumpy hardtail was stolen last week and ventured onto this forum to see if anybody had advise on:

HT v Full Sus?
Women specific or not?

It seems that the advice I have been given all over is pretty much the same thing...try some different bikes and see what works for me. Anyone who has advise on what they ride and where to start would be useful? In terms of budget I'm just waiting to see what the insurance are going to pay out but OH reckons I should get in the region of £1, 500 give or take. Also, creating a shortlist to try would be useful as the longer I take trying stuff out the longer I am sans bike :cry:

I'm a bit of a weekend/leisure rider to be honest. I get dragged to trail centres all over the shop by my other half during weekends away in our caravan normally starting the summer feeling riding unfit and lacking confidence on the blues and moving up to reds and single track as the summer progresses. I'm thinking maybe if I had a bike that fit me better and I felt more comfortable with (I liked my Stumpy but OH says I was in blissful ignorance) I might ride more and even do a course to improve my technical skills as at present I basically don't have any. :oops:

I am 5' 5.5" (the extra half inch is very important!) and a curvy size 16 (heading downwards at present but you never know when it will go back the other way). I'm not sure about my body proportions i.e. whether my legs/ torso are long or short (my inside leg is about29 - 30 inches if that help) but my wide hips give me a low centre of gravity compared to a man.

Any advise or recommendations much appreciated. :?

Jules

Comments

• I'm sorry to hear your bike was stolen, Jules, although maybe you'll end up with something more suitable (for you).

I'm not sure that you'd like a hardtail, after riding full-suspension. Personally, I reckon it's a one-way street!

Did you enjoy riding the Stumpy? And was it the correct size for you? Perhaps the Myka FSR would be a good place to start.
    http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/Detail/12mykafsr/myka%20fsr/Myka%20FSR%20Comp
  • Thanks Esmerelda - Just to clarify the Stumpy was a HT. I liked the lightness of it and I'm worried that a FSR would be heavier and harder and bouncier to ride up hill, although obvioulsy the pay off is a smoother overall ride.

I am considering the Myka, but just feel overwhelmed with options... :?

Jules
  • kathg
    kathg Posts: 142
    Hi Jules.. I'd go full sus if I were you. I just never looked back after I bought a lovely FS a few years back. My enthusiasm for riding just really took off and I've ridden 2-3 times a week ever since!!
    I'm a similar height to you 5ft 4 and er, 'solidly' built!! I got an Orange 5 (16 " frame) simply because it was the bike that felt the best and was an instant perfect fit. I took about 3 months to find the right bike and travelled all over the North West trying different makes. When I started looking,I had no intention of spending more than £1500 but ended up spending more simply because the Orange was the best fit by miles. Yes,it is a bit heavy for pedalling uphill but, OMG, does it make up for that on the downs!!
    Ultimately, go for the bike that fits you best (within budget... hopefully), try to get to demo days where you can try lots of bikes and I really would try to get your bike from somewhere where they have demo bikes to actually ride off road (uphill and down) this is crucial for ascertaining whether a bike's geometry really suits your body shape.

Good luck :D

Kathg
  • Well Jules, you have a choice, really:

You can spend all summer trying out different bikes, which will all feel a bit weird anyway, if you're not used to full-suspension. And there'll always be a little niggling doubt about whether you've chosen the "right" one :?

Or you can simply accept that you like Specialized bikes, buy a Myka FSR, and have a lovely summer learning to ride it :D

Several of my friends, of all shapes and sizes, happily ride the Myka - or its predecessor the FSR xc
  • I did like my Specialized. Think I might try and get a Myka Demo for this weekend and see where I go from there..

Also noticed a local bike shop have a 2010 Safire FSR Comp for around the right money and the right size.

Anybody know how the Safire compares to the Myka?

One of OH's bikes that was stolen at the same time was recovered yesterday so just waiting to see if any news comes through on the rest...

Appriciate all your input. Nice to get other womens view's rather than my OH or Male friends who work in bike shops.

Jules
  • Where are you based? I always find demo days really useful for figuring out what I like/don't like. I'm going to a Leisure Lakes one at Cannock this weekend to try an Orange 5. :D

I generally don't get on with women specific bikes - my legs are on the shorter side so I need really low standover, but I need long reach for my freakish arms and torso. Think of a sausage dog, but with the front legs of a jack russell.
  • The Safire is the women's version of the Stumpjumper, so you'll definitely love it - if it's the right size!

Lots of info on the Spesh website, under Bikes, then Archives
    http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?arc=2010&spid=47597

Up to 2007, Spesh did a D4W (Designs for women) version of several bikes, but in 2008 these evolved into separate ranges:
    Rockhopper = Myka HT
    FSR xc = Myka FS
    Stumpjumper = Safire
  • Thanks Esmerelda - that all makes sense now. I'm so ignorant :oops:

Finally got the insurance valuation confirmed yesterday and it looks like I might be able to stretch to the 2012 Safire :) Have to wait unti the garage has been made into a fortress by OH first though.

I'm not far from you Mrs T - the other side of Cov in North Warwickshire so might give Leisure Lakes a ring . I have a Demo on a Trek Lush booked for Sunday with Leisure Lakes but it's the Daventry branch but I would really like to try a Spesh Womens specific for fit.

I'll keep you all posted.....