which bike

bleasy
bleasy Posts: 98
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi people im looking to take up mountain biking and dont know which bike to buy? Not sure on my budget but def no more than £1000 more like around £600-£800 looking to ride at gisburn forest, grizedale forest and lee quarry. So if anyone can help me with some ideas it would be very welcome

Comments

• Is this budget just for the bike? I would also budget for camelbak, multitool, spare tubes, pump, patch kit, clothing and helmet.
  • bleasy
    £1000 for the bike and the gear
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    Bear in mind a good deal can be often struck with your local bike shop if you want a bike along with all the gear.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What brands does your local shop sell?
  • bleasy
    I have a leisure lakes close, so they sell specialized,cube,whyte,orange,cannondale, the other 2 local shops one sells Scott and focus the other trek, giant, orange but I'm not to far from formby cycles and wheelbase aswell
  • bleasy
    A few ideas ive come up with are

Lapierre 500 raid or 700 raid
    Orange g2 or g3
    Cube Ateention or Acid
    Whyte 801
    Canyon Yelowstone 5.0
    Voodoo Bokor
    Boardman ht comp

But open to other ideas
  • Is this budget just for the bike? I would also budget for camelbak, multitool, spare tubes, pump, patch kit, clothing and helmet.

I saved money by buying non specific biking clothing and I personally prefer water bottle over camel pack.

Decent gloves and helmet will pay dividends, the rest can be had very cheaply saving the rest for the bike.

How about a canyon GC AL 6.0. I had a Cube Attention with upgraded kit and found it a very stable fast bike that inspired confidence? You could probably get a team or pro in your range.