Best place to clean bike

mercedism
mercedism Posts: 102
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
If i am doing the full monty, clean, degrease, lube would you do it on the grass, patio or away from both of them.

Any problems with damage to either patio or grass?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Wash it off on the grass so the muck you free off just washes with time into the lawn, if the grass is OK it will stand it fine.

Move it somewhere clean to relube, even if it's just somewhere else on the lawn!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks, grass it is then. Didn't think patio was going to be the best choice.
  • mercedism wrote:
    If i am doing the full monty, clean, degrease, lube would you do it on the grass, patio or away from both of them.

In the Kitchen of course
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Or the bath.

I know the argument is with washing cars that's it's really very unfriendly to the environment to wash them on a drive as the stuff goes down the storm drain which should only take water, not detergents and muck/oil.

Bikes are just mainly water and mud when washing. Depends if you use a detergent. MuckOff should be safe. Still, I'd prefer washing on the grass just because the patio etc isn't looking soggy. In the winter it can freeze and slip on it - I've done that before!
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    mercedism wrote:

In the Kitchen of course

no no no :roll:

Living room..
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • mercedism wrote:
    Didn't think patio was going to be the best choice.

I wash mine on the patio and just wash the mud down afterwards.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    428220_10150564721476865_283800981864_8987663_2121463318_n.jpg
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Washed it, degreased it, lubed it on the grass.

Then moved it on to the patio, let it wind dry for a while, then dried off any excess and polished it.

Quite therapeutic.

Gonna dig out my camping stool, for some serious cleaning.

dUIlqV80_rRN9Cz_aKMjwnWJl1-nE0-Xnt_yryr3zillN1vnGQsyijemX2fuL09Df3TO8J0Pn8OW-rhUk-v0uYYJCq8SJfVucDKq-YDi-s5GSd91tmo5KRmtn5CTxjtx_buzfkRXnm9w
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I never do it on the patio, any oily grease leaves very obvious stains once it's dried!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Oil and grease? I do that in the house. Sod sitting outside in the cold :wink:
  • I never do it on the patio, any oily grease leaves very obvious stains once it's dried!

Simon

wash it down properly then :lol: you don't have that much oil/grease that should rinse straight off the bike when it is being washed anyway.