LLandegla?? or ultimate trail centre??

stanny_uk
stanny_uk Posts: 147
edited March 2012 in Routes
i'm just new to this trail centre/mtb riding in general but buggs hit hard.. now ive been riding my local red every week CANNOCK monkey but coming up to some midweek time off so fancy a road trip!! yey.. been watching LLANDEGLA videos is it really as good as it looks??? its about 110 miles for me which i dont mind really as i'll not have much else to do all week.. or shall i start a debate wheres regarded as the ultimate trail centre to confuse the issue even more????? answers on a post card!! ps i'm enjoying it that much i may do em all this summer lol :P

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    yes llandegla is good, i it the ultimate trail centre? NO. it's vry man made and quite dull at points. if i was gonna travel 110 miles i'd be looking elsewhere. where are you based?

it sounds like the midlands, which is as close to cwmcarn and the forset of dean, which really would be a good day out :D
  • yes i am rugby mids.. forest of deans about 100 miles.. actually nearer than llandegla 120.. cwmcarn i'll look that up..i may just ride and b&b the evening really not that bothered..
  • welshkev
    cwmcarn is about 40 mins from forest of dean. check out:

www.thefod.co.uk and www.mbwales.com (for all welsh trail centres) :D
  • welshkev
    apologies about the spelling mistakes, i'm on my second bottle of wine :lol:
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    LLandegla is good for a newbie you will enjoy it. Well worth the trip and it doesnt really matter if the weather is poo it rides even better when its a bit damp.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • It does hold up really well in the wet, rarely see a puddle, and maybe just a couple of deep mud patches. The rest of it you can ride as if it was dry!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I think they're very different. Llandegla is a swoopy 'rollercoaster' type of place, Cwm Carn is a lot more natural feeling. I'm not a huge fan of CC, think there's less fun stuff than on the Monkey at the Chase and the only real technical challenge is the climb. Admittedly it's nice to do it and know that you put a foot down less often than last time, or not at all, but the reward for all that climbing effort isn't really there....IMO.

But, horses for courses, you might love it.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • andymc06
    andymc06 Posts: 245
    Agree with Bails on this one.

In terms of bang for your buck I would recommend Gisburn Forest or Whinlatter. A lot of reward for your efforts at both places. From the Midlands Gisburn is not far and you can combine it with a trip to Lee Quarry which is just a big boys playground!
    If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    I'm in Leamington Spa... Viseted Llandegla the weekend before last...

I loved it.. The black runs are incredible... Although I took a somewhat ( experienced ) beginner with me and he did struggle on some of the sections and had a few bad slams....

So I wouldn't necessarily agree with stubs statement that if your a newbie you will enjoy it...

If your a noob you'll struggle on the climbs ( there is quite alot of climbs ) and youll struggle with alot of the drops there aswell if you decide to do the blacks.. ( but it wouldn't be worth going if you didn't do the blacks to be honest... )
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore wrote:
    I'm in Leamington Spa... Viseted Llandegla the weekend before last...

I loved it.. The black runs are incredible... Although I took a somewhat ( experienced ) beginner with me and he did struggle on some of the sections and had a few bad slams....

So I wouldn't necessarily agree with stubs statement that if your a newbie you will enjoy it...

If your a noob you'll struggle on the climbs ( there is quite alot of climbs ) and youll struggle with alot of the drops there aswell if you decide to do the blacks.. ( but it wouldn't be worth going if you didn't do the blacks to be honest... )

but the downhills flow incredibly well and are really fast at points, and if your used to the Monkey, it's not THAT much more challenging apart from a couple of rollable drops( but are bigger and steeper then anything at cannock ) which are more mind over matter with much faster downhills

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • welshkev
    i think i must be riding different trails to the rest of you :wink::lol:
  • how long does it take to ride around llandegla? will be giving it a go next month and just curious (both the red and black) - thanks
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Rushmore wrote:
    youll struggle with alot of the drops there aswell if you decide to do the blacks.

Drops? Only one I can think of classing as a drop (but is very rollable) is the one at the end of the woodwork as you enter the B line.
  • Alan P
    Alan P Posts: 127
    marko75 wrote:
    how long does it take to ride around llandegla? will be giving it a go next month and just curious (both the red and black) - thanks

Depends how fit you are, but under 2 hours is good for most riders...
    Ibis Mojo HDR (2014)
    Canyon Grand Canyon AL29 (2013)
  • welshkev
    marko75 wrote:
    how long does it take to ride around llandegla? will be giving it a go next month and just curious (both the red and black) - thanks

i'm average fitness and i did the red in about 1 hr 15 and the red and black in about 1hr 40.
  • bails87 wrote:
    I think they're very different. Llandegla is a swoopy 'rollercoaster' type of place, Cwm Carn is a lot more natural feeling. I'm not a huge fan of CC, think there's less fun stuff than on the Monkey at the Chase and the only real technical challenge is the climb. Admittedly it's nice to do it and know that you put a foot down less often than last time, or not at all, but the reward for all that climbing effort isn't really there....IMO.

But, horses for courses, you might love it.

Exactly i'm the opposite I've ridden cannock and find it depressingly dull man made and smooth, nothing challenging or demanding from a fast techincal standing, where CC is physically far more demanding and to ride fast takes alot more ability to corner and absorb bumps.

But as the man says horses for courses.
  • Rushmore
    DodgeT wrote:
    Rushmore wrote:
    youll struggle with alot of the drops there aswell if you decide to do the blacks.

Drops? Only one I can think of classing as a drop (but is very rollable) is the one at the end of the woodwork as you enter the B line.

yeah they are all rollable...

But steeper then anything at cannock..

also the on going into the black with all the rock gardens...

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    Drive a little longer and go to coed y brenin.......go on you know you want to ;)

Llandegla I found was okay for speed but nothing technically challenging, would much prefer to go back on a hardtail tbh. Coed y brenin would have to be the one, I love how it's got the lot and could easily make a few days out of it !

Cannock Chase isn't really comparable as it's a totally different setup in terms of terrain and elevation but as it's around the corner, it's good :D
  • x3man
    x3man Posts: 85
    Has everyone who says there is nothing challenging at Llandegla ridden all of the black options? In particular I'm thinking of the "new" double rock drop (an offshoot from old red trail just before it joins the new red "Golden trail" section). I'd say that is quite challenging, at least psychologically with the tree right in front of the exit! :twisted:
  • DodgeT
    x3man wrote:
    Has everyone who says there is nothing challenging at Llandegla ridden all of the black options? In particular I'm thinking of the "new" double rock drop (an offshoot from old red trail just before it joins the new red "Golden trail" section). I'd say that is quite challenging, at least psychologically with the tree right in front of the exit! :twisted:

Depends what your used to riding. Compared to Lee Quarry and Gisburn, can't think that there's anything technically challenging (on the full red and black routes - haven't done the blue..), other than getting through the groups usually stood talking on the start of sections or on corners half way round etc.

Yes I could improve on areas by going faster/bigger over the drops and jumping more, but thats more a personal challenge other than something technical on the route.
  • x3man
    Yeah fair enough point DodgeT. Llandegla's emphasis is on fun and speed rather than techy stuff.

I just wondered if anyone had ridden the double rock drop as it's easy to miss when doing the full black/red as it's on a connector trail. It is quite a technically challenging drop of 9-10 feet down a natural rocky step with a tree waiting to hug you at the bottom!
  • x3man
    Also don't forget the newly built North Shore off the freeride trail. Again that is quite challenging...

hmmm, I think I should ask for a fee from Oneplanet for the positive PR job I'm doing here...
  • DodgeT
    x3man wrote:
    I just wondered if anyone had ridden the double rock drop as it's easy to miss when doing the full black/red as it's on a connector trail. It is quite a technically challenging drop of 9-10 feet down a natural rocky step with a tree waiting to hug you at the bottom!

Intrigued to know where you mean, can't recall it from memory??
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Degla is fun and the "B" line is really good only done it once but I still managed to get nice air and clear the table tops well worth a visit but ultimate trail centre? no,

Gisburn is more my cup of tea, techy and hard in places.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • x3man
    DodgeT wrote:
    Intrigued to know where you mean, can't recall it from memory??

There's a climb after the last downhill section of B-Line. After this climb theres a brief swoopy section just before the long, wide section of ladder bridge. Just before the bridge the old red trail (that runs next to the water channel) joins from the right. That's where the rock drop is.
  • DodgeT
    Think I know where you mean and probably wont have done / seen it. Thing is, somewhere like Lee and Gisburn, there's good techy stuff round pretty much every corner.

Have you been to either, if not you shall have to visit with us?
  • x3man
    Not been to either. Definitely will at some point... when time allows.